Half inch reels.

snipeguy

Andy Goldsworthy Wannabe
I was working on my Otari 5050-8 tonight and I put on a fresh reel of Quantengy 456 and noticed that the reel was pretty wobbly. Not really deformed but the top and bottom were out of sync. Being farely new to the 1/2" format I was wondering if this is common. Do you guys "tune up" your reels. I don't really use the big reels on my 3440 so I have no experience with them although I do remember taking one apart and having a hell of a time getting it true again.

Its been my experience that all larger reels wobble to some degree and at one end of the scale, it's more of an annoyance and at the other end, its causing edge damage and skewing the tape out of its guides! :eek:

I can live with the low end of the scale; others may be more fussy?

Cheers! :)

I noticed this on my E-16 last night. I think I might have bumped one of the reels reaching behind it to change a cable. Anywayz the thing is pretty wobbly on the right side, and was always sort of wobbly on the left side, and I think that it has been affecting my edge tracks in rewind and fast forward. Also, in play, the tape seems to do a little twisting back and forth. The sound is still fine, although I have not recorded on the edge tracks. Is there a way to fix this? There aren't any techs anywhere close to where I live.

Back