A guy never knows when he is going to need a spare recorder

I dont know how much that is in us currency but I do know that it is cheap enough that I would sell my wife into slavery to get that machine for that price:D

Herm said:
I dont know how much that is in us currency but I do know that it is cheap enough that I would sell my wife into slavery to get that machine for that price:D

450.00 WAS in US currency. Mark probably doesn't have a $ on his left hand drive computer.

LOL

Actually the seller is in the U.K.

(It's a good thing too because I don't think the converter does confederate even if he would accept it. LOL)

:)

Last edited:
So Herm are you saying you grabbed that 38 package or did you miss it?

(Can you link two 38 machinces together into a 14 track with the SMPTE lock?)

Go Cubs

ARP!

Beware!

There is a new preditor in the used TASCAM market and he has a name!

The Herminator!!:eek:

Congrats to you Herm on the score.

To Billy,

No. He can't link them up together. The 38 can only be a master in a multi-machine lock up and for that scenario to work, one of them would have to slave to the other. Sorry Herm, if you heard that here first.

You could use them together though for ping ponging, where you fill up 8 tracks on one and then bounce to the second in stereo and add six more tracks with minimal generation loss and the preservation of the original beds, in-case the mix of the bounce wasn't to your satisfaction.

The second machine can also be used for doing safety copies and for doing alternate noise reduction copies too.

You could also convert one of them into a half track, stereo mastering deck and have a wicked two track machine as the result.

Yet an other application is for doing blended, multi-track masters where you have one song blending into the next on alternate tracks so that the original songs are kept separate for individual use as singles. I did a concept album a few years back that used this method of mastering a series of songs that blended together to form one continuous piece of music, assembled from 7 different songs with sound effects added in-between the tracks as well that could all be separated, thanks to the multi-track master.

There are probably more uses and applications for two machines as well and I encourage anyone else out there with a cool tip to throw it out here for the benefit of the gang!

Cheers! :)

love The 38

i got the same tascam 38 from a radio station who went dig with all there recordings, for the grand donation of $50 Australian around $23US bargin.....

WOW that is a score!
(BTW-Welcome to the bbs Beyondtheraphy.)

So what is the locking device for anyway?

(I was surprised that the owner quotes the shipping at just $38 for all that... I thought it'd be more.)

Go Cubs

So what is the locking device for anyway?

It could be used to sync it, (the 38), to a midi keyboard or another tape machine that could be controlled as a slave like a TASCAM 48, 58, TSR8, ART60-8 or a few others that had synchronizer ports on them.

It could also be used to lock it up with a VTR that could chase code with the 38 as a master but that would be weird to see it working.

Another use might be a mixer with SMTPE time code control for flying fader automation that would move dynamically with the tape's position and all the levels would store to memory for snap shots of mix position or live movement, following the tape.

Stage curtains and lighting can also be slaved and automated to follow SMTPE time code lock up with a 38.

Lots of possibilities!!

I am thinking that the sync unit that comes with the 38 is going to be real good for selling and use the money for other good stuff.

I cant phathom what i would ever use it for so I think its going to go. I have enough stuff around here that i dont use and Im pretty sure this would be one of those items.

Ghost have you ever heard of that company that makes that unit and if you have are they any good?

Herm,

I am not familiar with that company but, i do remember seeing ads for their stuff from back in the 80's in Mix Magazine.

In those ads, they always used a picture of a TASCAM recorder to pitch to their prospective clients so, I guess it is a budget unit for that genre of product.

Perhaps Rick Fitzpatrick, who uses sync to lock up his two MSR16's is familiar with the piece?

ps. How much do you want for it?
check you PM's. I sent you a reply.

Back