Gummy Portastudio knobs

I have many Tascam Portastudios with rubberized knobs- the 488 and 688 for example. They seem to have degraded over the years and got sticky and gummy, just like a belt or a pinch roller. Is there anything I can use to harden these back up a bit? Would alcohol work? I’ve tried running a few down with alcohol with no real success, I’ve considered soaking one but I don’t want to screw up any of them any further. Has anyone found a good way to fix this issue?

I’m not sure what, if any, the cure is. The same thing is happening as does happen with other rubber components (belts, rollers)...the rubber is decomposing back into its constituent parts due to improper curing. I’ve tried wiping them down with alcohol and that may actually help some...or maybe there is a better solvent. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

I’m not sure what, if any, the cure is. The same thing is happening as does happen with other rubber components (belts, rollers)...the rubber is decomposing back into its constituent parts due to improper curing. I’ve tried wiping them down with alcohol and that may actually help some...or maybe there is a better solvent. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

One thing that 'could' help is to remove the knobs, clean with naptha, then shoot them with a light coat of poly just to seal them up. You'll at least have a semi hard outer coating.

Try at your own risk. Lol :D

Back