Guide Roller bearings?

poopchute

Hey guys,
I bought a new guide roller for my TSR-8. Well it appears that it doesnt come with the bearings inside it. In my haste to get the old ones out (and from me not knowing how they were assembled inside the roller) I tried to pop the whole thing out with a screw driver. Well I got 1 of the 2 out.
It turns out the that Tascam/Teac doesnt carry these bearings anymore so...
Does anyone know where I can get 1 or 2? I measured it and it appears to be 3/16 ID. and 3/8 OD. It doesnt look like a ball bearing to me but I could be wrong.
So does anyone have any ideas where I can get some?

'chute, do you have the full service manual? Sometimes they actually put the bearing dims in there with the parts list.

Unless somebody has the info handy, you need to mic the bearing ID, OD and thickness and then you can likely get them from any bearing house online. You may be able to call Tascam Support and talk to Jimmy in analog support. He might be able to get the info for you.

Worst-case scenario (of you don't know anybody with a dial caliper) you can mail a bearing to me and I can measure and find a source. PM me if needed.

You'll be able to find them without a doubt...just have to do a little sleuthing first unless somebody has the info already or unless Teac can get you the dims.

Well they dont have them at Tascam anymore but upon looking at the manual closer I saw tht there was a part number. And I lucked out and found them online. I had to buy 10 in a pack ut i needed 2 anyway...
Thanks

Well the part numbers in the TSR-8 book were 1603091000 and in the description it says mr105zz. Well i got a caliper and measured it and I came up with 4mm wide by 5mm ID and 10mm OD. I accidentally found that exact bearing at vxb.com and the part number was magically mr105zz. They even look exactly the same.
The minimum order was 10 and I got them for 14.25 plus 4.25 shipping. I know I didnt need that many but what the heck. they sure look like the exact same ones and even have the same part number...
Why you need a set?

Nice sleuthing… good work! :)

I’m surprised Tascam doesn’t still sell the roller with the bearings, or at least have the bearings since they’re still available elsewhere. :confused:

Hey Poopchute,

I know you called this a guide roller, but I just wanted to get clarification that this was indeed the right guide roller and not the counter roller.

Thanks,

Tim

:)

Actually it is the Counter roller according to my manual. I dont know where I came up with the guide roller name. Its the large roller with the striped black rubber just to the left of the heads. So yeah its the Counter Roller...

Huh!

I'll check my 58 manual and see if it uses the same bearings anywhere. I don't think it does but, but if it does I'd like a set. I'll PM you if I can use some and we can go from there if that is alright.

Well I got my bearings today. Very nice. The are exactly the same bearings that were in the roller. They were nice and lubed up and seem to spin nice and free when I installed them and put the roller back on...
I too am suprised that Tascam/Teac doesnt still stock the bearings as they seem to still be made...Oh well

Hi,

As well as running a studio I am also involved in mechanical design and maintenance of machinery. I have found that most bearings are available if you can give the bearing supplier an accurate size and description.

The reason the part number seems the same is that the size and description is part of the part number, i.e 105 will mean 10 mm OD 5 mm ID the mr and zz bits will mean ball or roller and the type of cage.

Good on bearing manufacturers for standardization. Tascam would have used a off the shelf standard bearing, and of course marked the price up when sold with a tascam part number on it (like everyone does).

Cheers

Alan.

I have noticed that these new bearings seem very loud when in ff or rw. I dont know why they seem like they are lubed up. Oh well...

Hi,

If they are not sealed for life type bearings (I am not sure of what they are), it could be that they only have a preservative lubrication on them for storage purposes. You may need to get some lite grade grease and lube them properly.

Can you check with the supplier?

Cheers

Alan.

Back