Got myself a Midistudio 688- Bringing it back in shape...

mariosapm

Hello and happy new year!

So I bought this MIDISTUDIO 688 in kind of a shabby condition.

It is missing its left side cover.

It is missing a grill cover that used to exist in the upper right hand corner on top of the PSU.

It is missing 8-9 fader caps.

It is missing 10-15 screws that someone never cared to put back when they opened it and put it back together.

Well someone broke off some plastics holding the mixer section up in place (could be easily repaired I guess)

Also the headphone outs are not working. But the monitor out works fine and I have a headphone amp anyway.

So other than that the condition is good. No broken parts. Transport and heads and mixer section all work. In other words functionwise the midistudio seems to be fine. I tested it with a blank tape and recorded and played back all 8 tracks seperately. So it seems to work well enough.

Do you guys believe I could find the missing parts somewhere, or should I rather try DIY solutions to make up for their absence?

Since it is in working condition I would like to recondition it and have it installed in my hobby band's to record our stuff and have a unique analog sound. (After mastering its functions first)

I thought the 688 would be like a big 424 with 8 channels (used to own a 424) but it is WAY WAY more advanced. Hopefully it will sound better too.

So any ideas about bringing this in good shape once again and availability of parts?

I live in Europe btw.

The missing knobs would probably be the easiest parts to find from TASCAM's parts department directly or by a local e-bayer.

The other parts may prove more difficult to find as it almost sounds like you need a new shell?

Can you post a few decent resolution pictures of the damage and unit over all?

Cheers! :)

cool! I love to see it back in shape, keep us posted...Can't really help you with parts, maybe teac germany??

cool! I love to see it back in shape, keep us posted...Can't really help you with parts, maybe teac germany??

sure I will...

I will try to find some parts and do a little DIY work and then demag and clean the heads and start using it.

Then Bobby I will need your tips to make nice recordings like yours.

hey mario,
cool. sounds a little easy, but the best way to learn the 688 is reading the manual over and over untill you're confused and then read it again. Then start recording with the manual at hand. I am the most non-technical dude around this forum and that sure did it for me. But feel free to ask anything!

on a side note: I succesfully synced two Tascam 688's this weekend with the Midiizer. I am now recording a full band for the first time. It's been a real pain in the ... but it was shure worth it! 14 tracks cassette!:cool: (pictures soon)

Back