GOT MY 388 but...

HomeGos

finally , after 3 months, found a new head for my 388 ( that guy had 2 388 heads new ! ) and have the machine working , my tech advised me ... " dont worry about maintenance and cleaning.. " wich is something I disagree after lurking at these forums, something I can tell is "CLEANCLEANCLEANCLEAN" is a must with reel to reel, my tech is kind of nerd :) .

Got a couple of reels , SUPER REALISTIC TAPE ( 1800 ) , in a blue case, probably by Radio Shack, made in the 60s or 70s by the design, they seem in good state, they were unopened and liked to know if you recommend this.

I´ve cleaned the reel path with a domestic alcohol, and found a little bit of brown tape oxide, but not much after recording a couple of songs. Ill have to wait to clean the heads cause dont have the right product, any advise here?

Please whats the best option, please see link , ... about buying tape?

http://www.thomann.de/index.html?partner_id=97926&page=es/rmg.html

I would be afraid of using old Radio shack tape on a 388. If it does have any sticky shed it could pull your motors down to a crawl and maybe even burn them up besides clogging your heads up with tape goo.
At this stage of the game your only choise for new tape is the lpr35 on that link you posted.
Or you can find ud35 by Maxell that is new old stock available on ebay.
There are some folks that claim that radio shack tape was mostly tape that was not up to spec by other companys. I dont know if this is true or not but why take the chance when there are other, safer options to use on your machine.

finally , after 3 months, found a new head for my 388 ( that guy had 2 388 heads new ! ) and have the machine working , my tech advised me ... " dont worry about maintenance and cleaning.. " wich is something I disagree after lurking at these forums, something I can tell is "CLEANCLEANCLEANCLEAN" is a must with reel to reel, my tech is kind of nerd :) .

Got a couple of reels , SUPER REALISTIC TAPE ( 1800 ) , in a blue case, probably by Radio Shack, made in the 60s or 70s by the design, they seem in good state, they were unopened and liked to know if you recommend this.

I´ve cleaned the reel path with a domestic alcohol, and found a little bit of brown tape oxide, but not much after recording a couple of songs. Ill have to wait to clean the heads cause dont have the right product, any advise here?

Please whats the best option, please see link , ... about buying tape?

http://www.thomann.de/index.html?partner_id=97926&page=es/rmg.html

Resist all temptation to use the old Radio Shack tape. I mean, you just put on brand spanking new heads! Don't ruin 'em!

Check this website:
http://www.splicit.com/rmgi_tape.html

The tape you'll want to use RMGI-EMTEC LPR 35 on a 1/4", 7" reel.

-MD

Ok , I ve used the radio shack tape but I wont anymore... I could not resist the temptation after waiting so long.

Have to say my first impression was awesome about the definition and the clarity I heard through my nearfield monitors recording 2 tracks with me singing and playing acoustic guitar in track 3. Using the mic in ( have a jewel here a good old neumann u- 67 ) and a nice (but not great ) pre ( valve classics by tl audio, the old blue one). Have to say my room is not treated acoustically , I think thats why my second song ( recorded like 7 tracks here, 2 voices, 2 acoustics, a lead electric guitar and a bass ) didnt sound so defined, Im afraid the heads are covered with radio shack residues.

Someone please would recommend his top 3 cleaning product for a brand new tascam head. Hard to find things in spain ,

Anhydrous (no water) isopropyl alcohol 99% or 91% purity, or good quality denatured alcohol are safe and effective products for keeping the tape path clean. Use plain water or diluted window cleaner for rubber rollers.

MG Chemical makes an audio/video head cleaner too that I believe is similar to the old Teac head cleaner and/or a product that Radio Shack used to sell. That's what I use (the MG Chemical product). I got mine at a local electronics supply shop but I bet you can order direct from MG Chemical online.

thanks to all

u all are very kind

Ill try to find the anhydrous isopropyl alcohol 91 for the heads...that ll do the job

that specific mg cleaner has not distribution here... in spain, and ill clean the rollers with dilluted window cleaner... but have to order tape first,,, !

thanks again

Back