Got a great deal?

Instroverb

Hey All,

Just thought I would let you know what I got this weekend!! I've been searching locally for a 388 and lo and behold on Sunday found one in excellent shape (everything works!) for $450. The guy who sold it to me was super nice and kept the machine in perfect condition. I had already decided I was going to ge it when he said he had some extras to go with it. What are those extras, you ask?

Well, an unopened splicing block for 1/4 inch and cassette along with a package of splicing tape. A Teac demag still in box. A radio shack bulk eraser still in box. The 388 manual. 4 boxes of Ampex 457 in good shape! A full bottle of Tascam head cleaner and rubberr cleaner! He even had the original shipping box for the 388!!

Needless to say; I am very Happy!!!!!!!:)

instroverb, congratulations!

IMHO, you got a very good deal...finding it locally in good condition with original packaging + accessories...that alone sets the bar. For 450?? How exciting! :)

Nice, I got my TSR-8 for $500.00 and I just found out it was totally serviced with new motors, capstans, belts etc. before I got it. 90% left on heads and WELL cared for! Nice to see a deal like yours! Congrats.

Thanks!

Yeah, it is really nice to see success stories when you hear about so many where things go wrong. It also great when the seller loves the machines as much as you do and doesn't want to just take your money but wants you to enjoy it as well!

Local is always best!

...yes that's an awesome deal!

I would be careful with that Ampex 457 though. Was it still sealed? No matter, what is the address on the back of the box? Also, can you provide a photo of the actual front of the box? Alternatively, where is the Ampex logo located, on the upper front, lower front? Don't use the tape until you provide us with this info or you may get an unexpected surprise..:eek:

----

The address

on the back of the box is Quantegy Inc., 2230 Marvyn Parkway, Opelika, Alabama USA. Is this good or bad?

on the back of the box is Quantegy Inc., 2230 Marvyn Parkway, Opelika, Alabama USA. Is this good or bad?

That's the good stuff. Quantegy kept the Ampex logo for a few years after they Acquired Ampex, but it will say Quantegy Inc. Opelika, Alabama on the back of the box. It's the new non-sticky formulation, so you're good. And it doesn’t matter if the tape is 10 years old or 10 months old… the new formulation doesn’t deteriorate. I have Ampex stock from 1995 that’s just as good as my Quantegy stock from 2004.

But tape made 1994 and earlier will be sticky sooner or later. The older tape will say Ampex Corporation, Redwood City California on the back of the box.

Check the Sticky Shed Help Thread for everthing you always wanted to know.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=228067

:)

Back