Good Stuff?

Risky,

The logo is in the bottom so it could be OK in the transition period from Ampex to Quantegy.

Ask for the date code on the box, but again no guarantee that it is the same tape inside the box. ALso, some of the lang in the ad seems cribbed from another ebay seller who is infamous in these parts....

I'm talking more about this model of Ampex, the 456. I've seen NOS on ebay for this stuff and it's always pretty cheap.

Review the sticky shed thread. (It's a sticky...)

Avoid any *backcoated* Ampex tape that has the Ampex logo in the middle of the box. (Or the plain grey boxes, which is even older) NOS or not, It is certain to eitehr be sticky or go sticky. THat doesn't apply to *non-backcoated* tape like 631, 632, 641, 642, etc.

"Ampex" branded tape that has the logo on the bottom could go either way depending on when it was manufactured. Ampex/Quantegy switched to a new box design, about the time they changed formulas. I think the approximate date can be found in the sticky thread, but I'm pretty sure NOS after 1995 is going to be OK.

Awesome, Thanks a lot for the info. A lot of the auctions I've seen are the 456 with the logo on the bottom right of the box. I already sent some emails to sellers asking what the dates of the tapes are, hopefully some of them were they made the switch.

Thanks again,
-Barrett

Back