Going Mobile Project

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
Well...... RFR got me to thinking and I think I can lower my studio footprint and get myself a better quality system. Here's what I've got.....

IMG_2097.JPG

Well, The M-08 pots were a bit scratchy, so I took it apart and sprayed all the pots.... I must of done it wrong, or they are unfixible..... These are the pots..... (I also removed the cat hair on the fader.....)

IMG_2096.JPG

I tried spraying them in the leads and worked em at least a dozen times.... (I need a hand massage......)

This is what I used to clean em....
IMG_2098.JPG

What would y'all recommend I do different? Are new pots in order?

Thanks,

Brad

Dang, that sucks!

Nice-looking rack, though! And it looks as though you've got ... what ... two free spaces below the 234? Plenty of room for some effects and compressors! :)

I need space for the mic and cord storage.... someone did recommend a Behringer Dr100 reverb pedal once though that might fit the bill.... Anyone know a good inexpensive compressor pedal????

I say go for one of these. I got mine for about $40 used from Guitar Center. This one's listed at $50. They can ship it to a store near you as well. Easiest compressor you'll ever use! One slider and one knob. And they sound great, and they're 1/2 rack space! I have two. :)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/dbx/163X-Compressor-112518257.gc?country=us&currency=usd&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CMfeuum7n88CFdQ9gQod5P0DvA&kwid=productads-adid^78244844802-device^c-plaid^143951518362-sku^112518257@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Beags........ you are a bad influence...... it will be here next Wednesday...... :)

I was reading on it, and it looks pretty simple to use.....which is right up my alley....
Now I have space for a half rack reverb.....any ideas????

Oh boy. It seems we started you down a path.
However. I see no evidence of the footprint shrinking. The bins are still there. I think the mobile studio will just grow.:D That's normal.

On the pots, look up "shoe string technique" Sometimes pots need a LOT of cleaning and "massaging" before they are noise free.

Carry on.
:D

Beags........ you are a bad influence...... it will be here next Wednesday...... :)

I was reading on it, and it looks pretty simple to use.....which is right up my alley....
Now I have space for a half rack reverb.....any ideas????

Ha! Sorry ... But I think you'll love that compressor. I use mine all the time; it sounds so good on so many things. :)

Regarding FX, I've heard good things about the following units:

Boss SE-70
Boss Pro SE 70 Vintage Stereo Effects Processor Made in Japan Roland Used | eBay

Boss SE-50
Boss Pro SE 50 Vintage Stereo Effects Processor M542 | eBay

And I've used the following; any of them would suit your needs I'm sure:

Lexicon LXP 5
Classic Lexicon LXP 5 Multi Effects Processor Dual Channel Special Effects | eBay

Alesis Nanoverb
Alesis Nanoverb 18 Bit Digital Effects Processor with Reference Manual | eBay

Where are you spraying the pots?

Most pots either have a small opening somewhere, and you have to get the spray right in there, and it only takes a one shot or a couple of drops. Slathering it on doesn't make it work any better, and spraying it on the outside just makes a mess...
....or they are sealed, and you can spray them all day, and nothing will get in.

There is also the possibility that the pots or shot...I mean, they don't last forever, as the carbon & contacts will wear out, and sometimes over-cleaning them only exposes their failure state.

That said...if they hold a clean signal where you set them, then you can still work with them even if they are scratchy when you turn them, as you are not going to be turning them while recording/mixing in most cases.

I'll try cleaning a few times...after that, if they are too scratchy or dropping out...it's time to replace the pot.

Also...some contact cleaners strip out any lubricant that might have been in the pot...like the cleaners that use lots of alcohol or some other solvent. If you use a cleaner that is also a conditioner, you might regain some of the poor connectivity, and lose the scratch.

Oh boy. It seems we started you down a path.
However. I see no evidence of the footprint shrinking. The bins are still there. I think the mobile studio will just grow.:D That's normal.

On the pots, look up "shoe string technique" Sometimes pots need a LOT of cleaning and "massaging" before they are noise free.

Carry on.
:D

Both you and my wife seem to have caught on to my shenanigans........ :) She also noticed (in a less friendly tone I might add) the studio growing.

That however was the dry run. Here we are more to the finished project:

IMG_2099.JPG

It's my studio rack, bedside table!!

Here it is opened up a bit...
IMG_2100.JPG

The coolest piece of Walmart engineering was the snack holder. The bottom of the holder was big enough to put over the knobs of the mixer and protect it. The top of the snack holder I'm using for a bin in the bottom to hold cables etc..... it even came with a divided tray inside that I can use for holding parts.

IMG_2101.JPG

Finally..... the real savior was the space I found by the head of the bed. It wii hold 4 0f those Walmart shoeboxes....(....well.... three and my mic case...er... cigar box....).
IMG_2102.JPG

....and I looked up that shoe string technique and couldn't find anything on it

Thanks for the links FB......what is it with everyone keeping the power supplies for these things!! I have to add another 30-50 bucks to everyone of em (although the boss has some promise.....)

Miro, I've got some deoxit on the way.... I guess it's supposed to lube and clean.... I'll try er again.....

Thanks

Thanks for the links FB......what is it with everyone keeping the power supplies for these things!! I have to add another 30-50 bucks to everyone of em (although the boss has some promise.....)

Yeah I don't know what the hell the deal is with that! I've always just found out the specifics (amps, tip polarity, and voltage) and used universal adapters. I can usually find those for around $12 or so, and they've always worked fine.

Works good for gear as well as a bedside table. Hey, you can get another one for wifey's side of the bed.

" Honey! I didn't want you to feel left out, so I got you a night stand too! ":D

Wife says, "what's all this crap in it?"

"Uh, I, but. Uh, I dont know"......you say as you run out the door. :D

Eh, they all learn to live wirh our insanity....sooner or later. :D

Yeah I don't know what the hell the deal is with that! I've always just found out the specifics (amps, tip polarity, and voltage) and used universal adapters. I can usually find those for around $12 or so, and they've always worked fine.

Those Bosses are 12 VAC not VDC..... weird huh......

I've been burned so much by these over the years.... one, I had to drill out the middle hole to get it to fit.... shoot, the pedal I have now, I had to buy two..... 500ma does not mean the same in some international areas.....

Well..... time to get to the nitty gritty on this mobile project, but first an early morning side project while waiting for parts.
IMG_2117.JPG
First was to attach a power strip to the floor of the rack. We will be moving it every time we move, so I want to be sure we don't pinch cords and things.

Now onto what I figured was going to be the pain.... It was......

First things first.... get the cat sleeping facility in order....
IMG_2104.JPG

Notice the third part to the awesome Walmart cake tray being used as a parts sorter. I always keep the hammer around to end the projects permanently if I have to.
IMG_2107.JPG

Uhhhh.... ohhhhh.... this isn't good..... I don't think Tascam does this.....

IMG_2113.JPG

......ahhhhhh.... here's what I was looking for......

IMG_2105.JPG

Well...... those belts were truly a pain to change!!!! I made sure the cam slot was engaged when I put it back together.... of course (just my luck....), those jumpers didn't all stay attached..... They don't call me Shakey McShakeson because of my good looks.....

D68A2E7A-D679-4788-9C51-CEFBEEE66345.JPG

I ended up getting it all back together around seven last night and tried it out. The fast forward and rewind isn't working. The cam is turning to engage the heads.

Well, that was the end of experimenting for the night. My wife (....and rightly so) had had enough of the Tascam carnage all over the kitchen, dining room table, bedroom, and living room. The problem with living in the trailer is you have to put everything back all the time....

So, I guess I end up with two questions.

1. Could that cam be mounted 180 out of phase affect what's happening in any way?

2. Are there idler tires on the 234? I didn't see any, but if the belts are goo, the tire(s) could be too.

Back