Ghost (or anybody who knows) 424MKIII Mixer

Revmuddy

I know that channel 7 & 8 are stereo inputs for fx returns etc and the signal goes right to the master fader...But 5 & 6 have selectable inputs that determine whether the signal comes FROM the input of 1/3 or 5 and 2/4 or 6 what I don't get is why FROM 1/3 or 2/4 channels? Instead of TO those channels. It doesn't seem to make sense to me...If you already have a track recorded on say channel 1, then why send the INPUT of that channel to 5?....(you can't send the pre-recorded track, just the input right?) and what would you do with it when it was there? It seems to make more sense that you could ASSIGN extra signals TO 1/3 or 2/4 than FROM them.....any way I have plugged my drum machine into them (5/6) and then found I could record the signal with the "buss" position on the record section on 1/2/3/4...so maybe I'm just lost in space. The manual doesn't tell anymore than what goes where...not WHY or what to do with the signal.....
Also...I understand the importance of the TAPE CUE in the monitor section (after I ruined a bunch of tracks with bleedthru) but still don't quite understand how the tracks have to be set when overdubbing. When you are recording "DIRECT" do you have to pan all the pre-recorded channels away from the incoming signal to prevent the bleedthru? Is it the same when recording with the "BUSS"?
I know that you have to use the TAPE CUE switches and TAPE CUE signal send knobs to monitor when overdubbing but....that in itself will not stop the bleedthru correct?
Just thought I would ask...cause I know you guys know on this one.....Thanks :confused:

Last edited:
This sounds like a question for "A Reel Person"!

I would wait for him to give you some insight into the specifics of the Portastudio in question as I believe he owns at least one of them currently and I do not.

Sorry.

Cheers! :)

It's simply that,...

F/I, if you've already recorded your 4 tracks onto tape, and it's time for mixdown, you'll have your primary 4 channels switched to TAPE, for remix. You may then add a 5th and/or 6th part, LIVE-TO-the L/R-BUSS, DURING THE MIXDOWN PHASE, (live/direct-to-mixdown), by "borrowing" those MIC inputs from Channels 1 or 3 (and) 2 or 4, when Channels 1-4 are otherwise occupied on TAPE function, (remix). It's accommodating dual-use of Channels 1-4, so to speak, since Channels 1-4 have the XLR-Inputs, and 5/6 do not.

Haven't you ever wanted to add that 5th & 6th part to your already completed 4-track composition? I have,... very often,... (more often than not).

Well, this is a way to do that, without going to the lengths of employing a secondary mixer (hooked to the AUX INs). Just dual-function (borrow) those MIC Inputs from Channel 1 (or 3) over to Channel 5, and from Channel 2 (or 4) over to Channel 6, and feed those 2-MIC (live) signals, plus your 4 tape (prerecorded) tracks, to the L/R-Buss, simultaneously, and dub all 6 signal sources to your mixdown recorder device, (live/in real-time).

That may be a fairly lengthy explanation, but it's a very simple concept, & even more simple in use.

/DA

Last edited:
Thanks Reel!

Well...that clears it up for me, and certainly makes sense! I've had great luck lately using the 424 for 2 tracks of drums, one rhythm guitar and then one vocal...and then running it over to my TSR-8 onto 2 tracks in stereo for the base of my 8 track songs...now I can use the pre-amps of 1 thru 4 to add an additional signal to the mix to the TSR-8 OK! I appreciate your help. Thank you much! :)

Back