G24s

PaulWarp

Hi Guys

Newbie here. I have recently sought out a G24S and was victorious. Excellent condition. Paid $1350 One user, purchased new in 2000. I also lucked out in a second machine for parts only....just in case the leaky capacitor devil creeps in.

Anyone have this machine and has some great tips. Hope to use this forum more.

Hey welcome aboard!

Glad to have you!

I'm a Tascam 48 and 58 owner myself...in the short time I've been posting here (wonderful time though it has been) I haven't seen a lot of activity related to the higher track-count Fostex decks...some E and G16 posts, but this is the place. A LOT of collective experience here.

I have heard good things about the G-series decks.

put up yor questions and experiences. We'd love to be a part of your journey.

Also, put up some pictues as soon as you are allowed (5 posts I believe) if you have any.

Great find on a late model deck!

Thanks Sweetbeat

Hey Thanks for your email. I will take some pics shortly and do just that.

Right now I'm trying to reply over some masters and unfortunately I only have 3 eight channel mixers to hopefully connect in series so that I can tap into the 24 tracks. Do you know how to do this? I mean, how to make three such machines into a simulated 24 track machine? I'm not recording but simply listening to what's on the tape, and want to have some EQ and PAN control from the mixers before going to the monitors.

Hope this makes sense.

It totally depends on the mixers, and their bussing and monitoring facilities.

What are the makes and models of the mixers?

3 mixers to connect

It totally depends on the mixers, and their bussing and monitoring facilities.

What are the makes and models of the mixers?
Hi
Thanks for replying. I have a Tascam M-1508; Yamaha MG12/4 and a Fostex 450. All 8 channels. Right now I'm really just trying to listen to what's on the master tapes of the 24 track, and would like to set up these 3 mixers to simply have some control over which tracks to listen to, etc. Not too concerned about the recording setup for these mixers (perhaps that is different). Thanks for thinking about it for me.

Any way you can get me some hi-res pictures of the control surface of each mixer?

Basically you've already got the right idea...You're going to connect the 24 outs of the G24s in three sections of 8 (i.e. 1 ~ 8, 9 ~ 16 and 17 ~ 24) to each of the 8 line inputs on each of those mixers, and then you will need to connect the master stereo outs from two of the mixers into the third, or possibly cascade daisy-chain style (outs of mixer #1 into mixer #2, and then the outs of mixer #2 which inlcude the outs from mixer #1 into mixer #3). In either case you will have your headphones/monitor speakers connected the last mixer. If possible I would be trying to set it up like the first example (where the outs of mixers #1 and #2 dump directly into #3 instead of daisy-chaining) just so you've got all your masters on one surface.

You should be able to do it, but I'm thinking your last link in the chain is going to be either the Tascam or Yamaha mixer...It all depends on how the monitor facilities are setup on those mixers and what kinds of returns/aux inputs they have.

If you can PM me with a link to some hi-res pictures we can get a couple options put together.

3 Mixer Mix

Any way you can get me some hi-res pictures of the control surface of each mixer?

Basically you've already got the right idea...You're going to connect the 24 outs of the G24s in three sections of 8 (i.e. 1 ~ 8, 9 ~ 16 and 17 ~ 24) to each of the 8 line inputs on each of those mixers, and then you will need to connect the master stereo outs from two of the mixers into the third, or possibly cascade daisy-chain style (outs of mixer #1 into mixer #2, and then the outs of mixer #2 which inlcude the outs from mixer #1 into mixer #3). In either case you will have your headphones/monitor speakers connected the last mixer. If possible I would be trying to set it up like the first example (where the outs of mixers #1 and #2 dump directly into #3 instead of daisy-chaining) just so you've got all your masters on one surface.

You should be able to do it, but I'm thinking your last link in the chain is going to be either the Tascam or Yamaha mixer...It all depends on how the monitor facilities are setup on those mixers and what kinds of returns/aux inputs they have.

If you can PM me with a link to some hi-res pictures we can get a couple options put together.
Hello

Wow! You're good. A few hours ago I picked up some article (google search) from www.record-producer.com on "How to combine two mixing consoles to make one supersize console". It basically said what you said, but you are more detailed. It suggested for a 'stereo mix' to take the main stereo outputs of the first console and connect them to two channels, or auxiliary returns, of the other console. I like your idea of taking the stereo outs of two of the machines and plug them into the third machine. But here is a description of my connection options for each mixer. I will take photos over the weekend and send them to you as well.

For now:

Fostex 450 has : Aux 1; Mon Out; Aux2 in; Aux2 out; Buss in; Buss out; Stereo Out(at backside of unit)

Tascam M-1508 has: Stereo Outputs; Mon Outputs; Ext Inputs;

Yamaha MG 12/4 has: C-R out (monitor); Aux 1 Send; Aux 2 Send; Return L(mono) and R; ST. Out (Stereo Output);

The Yamaha is the most recent technologically. I think it offers more functionality than the others, just based on its recent technology. But I would appreciate it if you can suggest which mixer should be the main one that I use the monitoring from etc.

This is exciting. It is slowly making sense. I purchased an Audio text book recently on the theory of this stuff, but it lacks any practical scenario examples.

I look forward to your thoughts on this. And I will get photos of my G24S and mixers for you, but it will take a few days.

Thanks

Last edited:
Paul,

Found manuals for the 450 and the 12/4. Couldn't find one of the 1508 so pictures of that will be more important than the others.

I have an M520 from Tascam and a lot of the routing conventions were carried over into their next generation of mixers, so I should be able to give a pretty good recommendation on what to do.

3 Mixer Mix

Paul,

Found manuals for the 450 and the 12/4. Couldn't find one of the 1508 so pictures of that will be more important than the others.

I have an M520 from Tascam and a lot of the routing conventions were carried over into their next generation of mixers, so I should be able to give a pretty good recommendation on what to do.
HI

That's great! I took some photos. Now I have to figure out how to get it to you. This site doesn't seem to allow me to simply paste a pic here.

Last night I made all the connections suggested. I used the Yamaha as the Monitoring(main mixer) unit. Connecting the stereo outs of the Fostex to the 'Ext Inputs' of the Tascam, then the Stereo Output of Tascam to the '2TR IN' of the Yamaha. This I think is Daisy Chaining. I haven't tested it yet. I prefer your idea of the Stereo Outs of the Fostex and Tascam going into the 'Main Mixer', in this case the Yamaha. But I don't know where on the Yamaha I would add the second Stereo Output of the Second Mixer.

Feel free to recommend something. The yamaha doesn't need to be the 'Main Mixer', if you feel there is a better routing scenario. I'll have to get you the photos, but it will take me probably until Monday before I can do it.

Do you know of a site that allows me to place pics for this linking purpose?

Thanks Again for your help.

Cheers

Photos

imageshack.us is good and doesn't require a registration.
Thanks for that. I will check it out.

Based on your suggestion, here are the photos that Sweetbeats needs, I hope.

https://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00018fm4.jpg
https://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00016ct1.jpg
https://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00015mk9.jpg
https://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00003gt7.jpg

The first pic is my Fostex G24S; Second and Third are the Tascam Mixer; and last is of Yamaha mixer. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Paul, unfortunately I was not able to open the link to the picture of the G24S. Also, before I have any conclusive recommendation, I'm going to have to have a bigger pic of the 1508, or maybe I'm not using imageshack correctly.

Are you using the Effect returns on the 1508?
Do those returns have dedicated level knobs in the master section of the mixer?

Mixer mix

Paul, unfortunately I was not able to open the link to the picture of the G24S. Also, before I have any conclusive recommendation, I'm going to have to have a bigger pic of the 1508, or maybe I'm not using imageshack correctly.

Are you using the Effect returns on the 1508?
Do those returns have dedicated level knobs in the master section of the mixer?

Hi
Thanks for getting back. Yes the 1508 has Effects Returns in the Master section with control knobs. However I have not connected anything to them, largely because I'm not sure what they do and whether I can improvise with them for my needs. Hmmm, about those links, they seem to work for me. Not sure what to do on that front. IF you needd a bigger pic of the 1508, I can do it, but let me know if you succeed in opening the hyperlinks first. Otherwise I'll have to find another site to host my pics for you.

Thanks for your efforts. Let me know what I can do to help.
Cheers

Yes the 1508 has Effects Returns in the Master section with control knobs. However I have not connected anything to them, largely because I'm not sure what they do and whether I can improvise with them for my needs.

Normally what the effects returns are utilized for is to input the outs of effects units (duh...what's in a name...). This would be for send-type effects, not insert effects. So you have the output of aux 1 going to a reverb unit, and aux 2 going to a delay unit, and then the outputs of those units come back to the mixer at returns 1 & 2 respectively. Those returns are typically routed straight to the main buss, or in the case of a multiple buss mixer (like the 1508 which has those 4 groups) you can have a little more control as to what you do with those returns and where they go, but in your case if you used them to input the outs of the other two mixers you would just route the effects returns on the 1508 straight to your main buss. BUT, I need a more detailed picture of control panel of the 1508. BTW, there was only one picture I couldn't open, and that was the one of the G24S. I can view it today tho', but all the pics are 320 x 240 and are way too small for me to see what I need to see. Did you scale the pictures down to upload them to image shack?

Use the 450 for G24S outputs 1 ~ 8; output to the 1508 via the MON OUT jacks. The level is controlled by the MONITOR knob under the group 2 LED level meter.
Use the Yamaha for G24S outputs 9 ~ 16; output to the 1508 via the REC OUT jacks. The level is controlled by the ST fader.
Use the 1508 for G24S outputs 17 ~ 24; again, I will need a more detailed larger picture of the master section controls on the 1508 before I can tell you for certain what to do as far as connecting the 450 and the 12/4.

I can PM you my email address if that would be easier as far as sending me the picture.

3 Mixer Mix

Normally what the effects returns are utilized for is to input the outs of effects units (duh...what's in a name...). This would be for send-type effects, not insert effects. So you have the output of aux 1 going to a reverb unit, and aux 2 going to a delay unit, and then the outputs of those units come back to the mixer at returns 1 & 2 respectively. Those returns are typically routed straight to the main buss, or in the case of a multiple buss mixer (like the 1508 which has those 4 groups) you can have a little more control as to what you do with those returns and where they go, but in your case if you used them to input the outs of the other two mixers you would just route the effects returns on the 1508 straight to your main buss. BUT, I need a more detailed picture of control panel of the 1508. BTW, there was only one picture I couldn't open, and that was the one of the G24S. I can view it today tho', but all the pics are 320 x 240 and are way too small for me to see what I need to see. Did you scale the pictures down to upload them to image shack?

Use the 450 for G24S outputs 1 ~ 8; output to the 1508 via the MON OUT jacks. The level is controlled by the MONITOR knob under the group 2 LED level meter.
Use the Yamaha for G24S outputs 9 ~ 16; output to the 1508 via the REC OUT jacks. The level is controlled by the ST fader.
Use the 1508 for G24S outputs 17 ~ 24; again, I will need a more detailed larger picture of the master section controls on the 1508 before I can tell you for certain what to do as far as connecting the 450 and the 12/4.

I can PM you my email address if that would be easier as far as sending me the picture.
Hi

Thanks for that. I will send you better pics. Email would be great. What do you mean by PM? Sorry, my brain seems slow on the uptake today. I really look forward to giving you what you need. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Let me know what PM is and I will do the email thing.
Thanks

Hi
Thanks for that. I have that manual. The real sticky one to get is for the Tascam 1508. Hard to find that one. But thank you nonetheless. Appreciate your input.
Ah, I thought Sweetbeats needed the connection info on the Yamaha as well, if not, never mind...
'PM' is for 'Private Message', by the way.

3 Mixer Mix

Hi

Thanks for that. I will send you better pics. Email would be great. What do you mean by PM? Sorry, my brain seems slow on the uptake today. I really look forward to giving you what you need. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Let me know what PM is and I will do the email thing.
Thanks
Hi

JPMorris was nice enough to enlighten me on what PM means. Thanks JP.

Yes, please PM me and I will do the email channel. That may do just fine for the pic sizes that I have.

Cheers

3 Mixer Mix

Hi

JPMorris was nice enough to enlighten me on what PM means. Thanks JP.

Yes, please PM me and I will do the email channel. That may do just fine for the pic sizes that I have.

Cheers

Back