Fun with Tascam 244

Findlay

Just had to post about how much fun I had with my Tascam 244 last week. Having been away for over 6 weeks I took it out, connected up my vintage Shure Unidyne III and got out the old 12-string. Recording in a completely different way to normal, I just set the tape rolling and played an old song I hadn't played for years - no rehearsal just 1 take. Then went on to add main vocal, harmony vocal and lead on the remaining tracks in single takes - 22 minutes total for a 5 minute track. Warts and all it was such fun and only possible because I am so familiar with the machine. Couldn't have done this with digital and wouldn't have been inspired to - and the sound is amazing. Would recommend a go at this.

Thanking everyone that has helped me on the forum this year and wishing you all a very merry Christmas.

I concur.

I think your post gets at the core of why many who still work with analog formats enjoy it. And I suspect your track would reflect that.

So drink up if you need to. The rest of us are waiting.

Thanks Sweetbeats. I will be home at the weekend with the 244 and will make sure I have those drinks!

Last edited:
Well I've had a few drinks and built up a bit of courage to post the track.... It is just a quick demo all done in 20 minutes but it was such fun... The lead vocal was rather hot and the output clipped the Terratec Phase II digitiser I used to transfer the tracks a few times even on minimum input level so I need to do this again properly. Just a quick mix with no eq but some reverb (maybe too much) added. Don't crucify me guys!

View attachment LS2018.mp3

Great 12-string sound! It reminded me of the kind of sounds you'd hear on an old Harry Nilsson album or something. (And I mean that it a good way!) Thanks for sharing. :)

I have a 244 that I purchased new back in 1985. I set it aside for years and didn't get it out again and 2012 when I joined this forum. I had to replace all of the rubber in it.
Thank you for posting your tune, it is inspiring me to get off my lazy ass and get recording. I agree that is a nice 12 string sound. That is my next purchase, a 12 string.

Yeah absolutely. Thank you for sharing the song, Findlay. I thought it was awesome. It sounds great. I’m consistently amazed at what you can do with a cassette 4-track. The top-end sounds really detailed. I think the performance, composition and recording quality aren’t worthy of all your worry. :D

It’s genuine...sounds great. You should have some more fun with it. Nice job.

Thanks for the kind comments guys - it means a lot. I'm going to continue having fun with this wonderful tape recorder!

I owned one of these 30 years ago... good little machine... then I didn't record or play for 25 years, woke up like Rip Van Winkle and... DAWs. Truly unbelievable what you can do these days.

Thanks bacherlorb - I'm inspired to get playing it some more. I got hold of an electric 12 recently and have sort of neglected it. I compared this recording to one of the same song my late brother made with the same mic and guitar almost 50 years ago using a Tandberg 3000x but I still can't get the sound he did. I guess it helped he was a real guitarist!

Back