Free from sticky shed!

arjoll

Hi - after seeing all the suspect auctions on eBay I thought you all might be interested in the calibre of tape advertised on New Zealand's own auction site.

No sticky shed in this lot! I'm guessing that these are pretty safe too.

Cya
Andrew

Sticky shed...

was not a universal problem, but more narrowly associated with Ampex/Quantegy tape from the early 80's to mid 90's.

This tape, pictured (first lot) is obviously tape from the 60's, and not having exact model of stock numbers, "Emitape" and "Scotch" of that era could be assumed to be lofi formulations of tape, not comparable to modern 456 or equivalents.

The second tape does not look good, at all, as pictured. I'd stay away from it.

Eh,... what's wrong with buying new tape from regular tape retailers? Why deal with all this auction-stuff of antiquated used tape? 1/4" reel tape is still available there as new product, isn't it? If it's a cost issue, a brand new reel of tape is worth the cost.

I am a dumbass!

A Reel Person said:
Eh,... what's wrong with buying new tape from regular tape retailers? Why deal with all this auction-stuff of antiquated used tape? 1/4" reel tape is still available there as new product, isn't it? If it's a cost issue, a brand new reel of tape is worth the cost.
Oh dear :o, I am so sorry that I didn't include any smilies on that last post! I was just poking fun at the rubbish that's being sold at the moment.

Don't worry, I have absolutely no intention on looking at *any* of those tapes! I am currently mainly using the deck I have in working order for archiving (a 70's Akai) not recording, and have enough suitable tape for anything I'm likely to want to do on that. The Ferrograph I'm fixing up is really more to use occasionally to keep running, not for serious recording.

So don't worry, I'm not going to throw a 60's reel of Emitape onto a 34 and wonder why my bounced tracks turn into a muddy sea of mushiness!

Cya
Andrew

arjoll said:
Oh dear :o, I am so sorry that I didn't include any smilies on that last post! I was just poking fun at the rubbish that's being sold at the moment.

Don't worry, I have absolutely no intention on looking at *any* of those tapes! I am currently mainly using the deck I have in working order for archiving (a 70's Akai) not recording, and have enough suitable tape for anything I'm likely to want to do on that. The Ferrograph I'm fixing up is really more to use occasionally to keep running, not for serious recording.

So don't worry, I'm not going to throw a 60's reel of Emitape onto a 34 and wonder why my bounced tracks turn into a muddy sea of mushiness!

Cya
Andrew

I thought so. My first reaction was to laugh. :D Then I had a second thought that maybe I just thought you were being sarcastic because that's what I would do, so I didn't say anything :eek:

To my chagrin, my sarcasm and dry humor gets me into all kinds of trouble in these forums. :confused:

I've learned to use the emoticons for the benefit of those who aren't as twisted as I am. :) I’ve even learned to use self-deprecating words like “twisted” instead of words like “clever” to describe myself so as not to offend anyone. :p

Back