Four Trackers Unite!!!!!! Lets talk!

reco

HEllo All!
I have just spend way to much time in the digital world.......
I am getting a Four track Tascam 424MKIII again.
I have had pretty much enough with trying to get the whole digital thing happening.
I went thru a Apple/Protools system. a Apple/Motu System.
PC ARG!!!!!!
I like some programs but hate crashes.......................

Oh yeah so my point I want to hear the analog side of things again.

Four traCKERS! Let me know what kinda rigs you have, outboard gear, mics, and preamps favorite ways to track things.
Any one submix to dat, casset or computer?
ect ect ect.

I love to hear it.
-Reco

reco said:
I have had pretty much enough with trying to get the whole digital thing happening.
Hmmm... and you attribute the failures to "digital recording"??? :eek:

reco said:
Oh yeah so my point I want to hear the analog side of things again.
Well... while it's true - a PortaStudio is an analog device.... but it's a bit of a stretch referring to it as "going back to analog" again!

Did you miss the wow & flutter, the hiss, the limited frequency response of a cassette-based multitrack while you were "trying to get the whole digital thing happening??????" :eek: :eek:

But regardless.... have fun with your 4-tracker! :)

Or maybe he (?) just missed the fact that a Cassette Portastudio (TM) really IS just Plug 'n' Play, without all the goofing around PC recording seems to involve.

If you read the message properly you'll see that Reco talks of getting a Tascam 424 MKIII Again. So that was his previous experience of analogue. Besides, two inch 16/24 Track isn't the ONLY legitimate form of analogue recording you know. As for Wow and Flutter the transport in most high quality modern cassette decks is a lot more stable than it was when you last used one in anger (70s? 80s? 90?), And Noise Reduction systems and Tape formulations have come on in leaps and bounds.

:p

:D Teac 2340 , A sony of the same year, 424tascam, 688tascam. These are not used all the time, but do produce really neat results.
Also the main analogue dogue is the Fostex E-16.
Mix down to tsacam 32, or da30, da20mkll, or the cassette 302.

da MUTT

Mark7 said:
Or maybe he (?) just missed the fact that a Cassette Portastudio (TM) really IS just Plug 'n' Play, without all the goofing around PC recording seems to involve.

Yeah, but thta's the point ainnit? It's PC recording that is a pain in the ass. Not digital recording. Digital portas are easy too.

Yep!

Yep! The computer was a pain and yes digital vs type machines are easy I had a couple liked em but missed things about analog for some odd reason.........
Anyway Im here for a while.
-Reco

I got one

Yep! I got a 424MKIII!
I just need some outboard gear!(compression efects)........
ANY WHO I will post some sheeot in the furture.
-Reco Over and out

Hi reco!

Just wanted to chime in, here.

I'm a big 4-track Portastudio-person myself,... with reel-analog too, of course. I've actually stocked myself up with quite a few Portastudios, to where it's actually become a "collection".

You're not alone, by any means. A lot of people still do not want to record on the computer, myself being only one, but there are others who may not post as often.

All the "digital-is-best" claptrap in the world is not enough to sway someone who is devoted to analog. Analog's just a better solution for some people, and the people who look down their noses at analog enthusiasts can just BITE ME!

You heard it here, first.;)

PS: Find me over at tascambbs as "long time user". Also find pics of my recording gear "empire" on other threads on this board, plus same pics & more over at tascambbs. Use the bbs' search function on "studio pics", or just search on my respective bbs user names, if you want.:cool:

Re: Hi reco!

A Reel Person said:
Analog's just a better solution for some people, and the people who look down their noses at analog enthusiasts can just BITE ME!

You barbarians! With all of your moving parts and rewind time. It disgusts me :eek:

I'm no barbarian, a little old fashioned perhaps but for most of my needs a little Yammaha MT120 serves me well. It's small, portable, durable (it's been drug around plenty) and best of all it's easy to use. When I manage to catch something worth keeping, it's easy to plug it into my soundcard and download into the puter, which is great for filtering out noise, but for most of my recording purposes that little old 4 track tape machine has stood the test of time and abuse and is still working fine. Please don't take me wrong, I'm not knocking digital as a recording media, I just prefer the simplicity of tape in a simple little machine.

Wild,...

That type of Portastudio uses a motor & belt to drive the headstack back & forth. What usually happens, is that the belt stretches and loses it's ability to drive the headstack any more.

Also, btw, there's an analog adjustment for the headstack "home" position, and when this adjustment goes out of spec, then the heads will not retract enough to remove the tape.

So, in summary, IMO, your jammed tape is probably the result of a stretched belt, or an analog adjustment, or both.

Otherwise, the 424mkIII's a very nice unit.

Good luck, & again, WTG on scoring the 388!;)

Back