Fostex X26 Motor Noise

Dick Name

Hey everyone - Longtime reader first time writer. I picked up a Fostex X26 on ebay "for repair". It pretty much wouldn't do anything when I got it, and I got it back to working order again, except for motor noise coming through all outputs as soon as the machine is turned on. I lubed everything I could, the motor makes noise on its own, but nothing that I would consider out of the ordinary, but somehow the sound of it is being amplified in the machine. I can use the machine and work the eq, gain and levels so that it's only barely noticable, but if I turn up levels like I would on any other machine, the noise is too much to deal with, and using headphones is out of the question, that noise is an automatic headache maker. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum. I know it probably won't let you post files yet, but if you could rack up enough posts so that you're able to post a sound file, it would probably be a help.

The Fostex X-26 was my first four track machine back in 1988 probably. :)

Thanks for responding. The X-34 was my first machine, some time around 2000. I've amassed a pretty decent pile of gear for my basement studio, buying everything broken and fixing it myself. I've got a Tascam 688, and a a TEAC A-2340SX that I got for next to nothing that just needed belts and a good cleaning. Probably about twenty guitar pedals brought back to life, and about five little four track machines. Now I just do it out of the love of bringing this stuff back from the dead. I've got a DAW and all of that, but I'd rather record onto tape any day. Since 9 times out of 10 I am able to fix this stuff, when I can't it's hard to get past it, let it go and get some sleep, haha. I left all social media about six months ago, and it's left me a much happier person, but I no longer have anyone to ask when I need help, so I came here

Ha! That's funny about the social media thing. I know what you mean about it making you a happier person. The only thing I've ever been on is Facebook (never had a Twitter, Instagram, or ... whatever else account), and the times when I've gotten rid of it are happier times for sure. I'm on there now out of necessity, to help promote books and music that I write, but I still wonder if the extra bit of exposure is worth all the toxicity that's on there daily.

Update on the X-26 - When I turn it on, after having sat overnight, the motor noise comes through and registers on the VU meters at -6. If I just let it sit, turned on, the noise slowly drops, while it crackles and moans and groans, and after about 20 minutes the noise is still there, but at least has dropped down past being able to register on the VU meters, and the odd moans and groans and hums and crackles stop altogether. Makes me think of bad capacitors maybe? Anyway I can definitely use the machine, just have to let it go through it's "warming up cycle" I guess.

Back