Fostex R8-tape reels slowing to a stop on playback.

I had a similar problem on my R8, the plastic pulley also came off and was also just a friction fit to the steel shaft, i think it was on my rewind motor. I tried reattaching it and pushing it down the shaft to some how wedge it in and then hit rewind and the thing just flew off again... I then got out the super glue a fair bit of it on the pulley and the shaft and ive recorded and mastered maybe 5 tapes of material since then and its still holding.

Also from what i hear your one has to do with the play motor, which has much less power and torque than the rewind motor and so less strain on the pulley one might imagine...

If your like me and dont really like fidgeting with recorders but just like functionality of them (and the look, canNOT forget the look...) then just get the quick fix over and done with and get back to staring at the reels spin...

I had a similar problem on my R8, the plastic pulley also came off and was also just a friction fit to the steel shaft, i think it was on my rewind motor. I tried reattaching it and pushing it down the shaft to some how wedge it in and then hit rewind and the thing just flew off again... I then got out the super glue a fair bit of it on the pulley and the shaft and ive recorded and mastered maybe 5 tapes of material since then and its still holding.

Also from what i hear your one has to do with the play motor, which has much less power and torque than the rewind motor and so less strain on the pulley one might imagine...

If your like me and dont really like fidgeting with recorders but just like functionality of them (and the look, canNOT forget the look...) then just get the quick fix over and done with and get back to staring at the reels spin...

Thanks for that info....it bodes well that yours is still working-as you say there is probably more torque on the rewind motors.....they have toothed belts which would confirm the need for it maybe.

Ill be off to the hardware store on my way home from work. Ill see what toxic commodities they stock for this particular task.:)

well, the dirty deed has been done.

looks good, but im going to leave it a few days to harden before i try it.

in the end I used araldite, roughed up the shaft of the motor, and drilled a few tiny holes (with the smallest drill in the world), into the core of the nylon wheel, to allow the araldite to form its own "pegs" on the shaft.

just time to tidy the studio now, before its make or break time.:)

Fostex R8 Capstan Motor Pulley Slippage

well, the dirty deed has been done.

looks good, but im going to leave it a few days to harden before i try it.

in the end I used araldite, roughed up the shaft of the motor, and drilled a few tiny holes (with the smallest drill in the world), into the core of the nylon wheel, to allow the araldite to form its own "pegs" on the shaft.

just time to tidy the studio now, before its make or break time.:)

Appreciate investigation into slowing and stopping of tape after play. IT WAS A CRACK IN THE WHITE PLASTIC PULLEY. Thanks . Rectified. !!!! :):thumbs up:

@@

I hate when that happens!

Fostex had a niche to fill, but IMO cut too many corners on quality.

They're fine when they run.

Back