Fostex R8 Reel to Reel recorder

panicscam

I am thinking about purchasing a fostex R8 recorder and was wondering what kind of mixer I will need. I assume that i need 8 channels with mic preamps and tape outs. Are there any specific models which i should look for? I am on a strict budget and am looking to find something used. I don't need the nicest board, but perhaps the easiest and most affordable one which will record 8 tracks at once.

Also, any links to any info regarding this model of recorder or accompanying mixer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

You need a mixer with at least 8 channels, yes, but they don't all have to have mic preamps, unless you plan on recording 8 mics at one go. Tape outs necessary if you plan on using the preamps in the mixer. My mixer does not have tape outs, but since the preamps suck anyway, that doesn't matter, so I record mics/guitars using external preamps, and record synths directly.

Since I also sync a sequencer 16 channels is on the low end for me so I'm looking for a 24-channel one.

So, as you see, your requirements for the mixer has very little to do with the tape recorder. ;)

Panic,

If you happen to have recorded all 8 trks, during mixdown it is wise to have spare channels available on your mixer, just in case you want to run outboard effects off an aux send, you can then return them through the line in on a spare channel which gives you better control of the effects.

I would suggest looking for a second hand 16 channel.

I run a 24 channel 8 buss console into a 16 track recorder and I can assure you there are times I wish I had more than 8 spare channels.

BTW, I'm the one who recommened you come over here to HR :D .

Good luck.

:cool:

On a budget i would look at the alesis studio 24 cause of its
inline monitoring, Its set up for recording and has all that you need.

I think that 4-buss is the best you'll do on a budget.

If you really want 8-buss capability, then IMO an ideally suitable mixer would be the Fostex 812, which has 8-busses & 12 input channels, as the model number would imply. I suppose it depends exactly the limits of your budget, but the Fostex Model 812 should be one of those relatively affordable 8-buss mixers. I think Fostex made a 20-input/8-buss mixer, as the Model 820.

Then, if you really want HIGH QUALITY, then the Tascam M512 or M520 mixer would be ideal. It's MUCH higher in features & standard value than ANY Fostex mixer you'll EVER find, and for a bit of a kick up in dollars, is still relatively affordable & WORTH IT.

The Tascam M2600 is a more modern 8-buss mixer, but will be higer priced than the M512. You said you were on a budget.

BACK TO 4-BUSS,... It really depends on the scope of your recording project, as you mentioned 8-simul recording, but IMO a 4-buss mixer could be employed, such as the Tascam M30 and Tascam M312/M320. To accommodate 8-simul recording on a 4-buss board, you could use the 4-buss-assign/subgroups to drive 4 tape inputs, and the DIRECT OUTs of the mixer to drive the other 4 tape inputs directly off the other channel strips. Either that, or just drive each of 8 tape inputs with the DIRECT OUTs of each of 8 mixer channels, and leave it at that, with no buss-subgroups used at all. Whether or not I did an adequate job of explaining this, IMO an 8-input/4-buss board such as the M30 would work, with the M312B & M320B giving you all the more inputs to work with. [The B-models have built-in phantom pwr].

Also, you said you were on a budget but wanted a simple, high quality board, & to me that adds up to only one thing: The Tascam M30, which can be found for avg $125, or even less, depending on the day.;) THAT's where the real value is.

However, being that you're running the R8, you may want to stick with an all-Fostex system, which would then bring me back to the Fostex Model 812 & 820. That would probably be the most suitable solution for you,... an all-Fostex solution.

I just happen to think Tascam mixers are of a higher quality & better features than Fostex mixers, overall, but the Fostex mixer solution is there if you want it, and it's an adequate solution that's well matched to your existing R8.

;)

In the 812 820 line there is also a I guess you would call it a 808
but I think the real number is a 812 that is the same as the 812 or 820 only has 8 channels on it. It is the same size as the 812
and look just like it only it has filler plates that can be removed to
add the other 4 channels in order to make it a full 12 channel.
I hope that makes sense!

I had 1 of each of these boards and they did a good job.
The only thing bad about them is the phantom power is only
24 volts.

Another thing nice about the 8 buss line of the old fostexs is
the board is pretty easy to get into in order to clean contacts
on the faders and things like that.

Back