FOSTEX R8 R2R - What cables/tape/master setup etc? - first tape machine -

I have to ask .... where you're going with this??? I own several tape decks one is a Fostex R8 which as mentioned ... was not designed for mastering to 2 track. 8 tracks on 1/4" tape .... cross talk & a host of down side. What is your output? If it's back to CD or MP3 .... you're wasting time & money.

I was wondering why you didn't just buy a half track mixdown deck? Sending a complete mix to two tracks on the R8 is almost certain to sound worse. I've tried it, sort of. I've recorded 8 tracks to the R8 and then dumped them all into Pro Tools to mix, then sent that mix back to two new tracks on the Fostex so I could record on the rest and unless I keep it to just drums and bass it messes the mix up. I'd buy a used 8-channel interface so you can track directly to the R8. That's where you impart the sound. Who knows though? I hope you get what you're looking for after dropping $600 on that.

I have a Fostex E16. Someone set something on the vent screen at the top of the machine during some testing. I didn't notic it while sitting in my wheelchair. It must have over heated and now the RWD and FFWD speed is slow (down to a crawl). Also record doesn't seem to work. Playback audio is fine as is transport movement on play.

I am broken hearted as this machine was in mint condition. No scratches, dirt nothing. Looks like new.

I am looking for a place to get it repaired. I have tried 3 out-of-state places but they declined. Does anybody know a place that works on these machines?

You should start a new thread when your topic is so different from the original post.

What kind of tape are you using?

Back