Fostex R8 question

Kevatron

I recently received a Fostex R8, and it I don't think it is working properly.
It powers on, and when I spin the reels, with tape, the meter works. However, the stop button seems to be stuck on and pressing all of the other control buttons does nothing.

Could it be a belt or motor problem? If it is, are there any online steps to taking the unit apart. I can get the face off easily, but I do not want to start unscrewing things to get in and possibly wreck the r8 even more.

I am clueless with using tape recorders, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Is the transport stuck in the stop mode and the tape will in fact not move? Or is just the button sticky as if someone spilled some Coke in there?

You said you could get the reels to spin. Was this in a fast forward mode or a play mode?

Do you have the manual?

Have you threaded the tape correctly?

Could you clarify exactly what the deck can't or won't do that you believe it should be doing?

Cheers! :)

Just incase here is a pic of my R8 and the proper way to thread it. I just love the Fostex R8, Its so portable for a analog 8 track. ;)

Good luck with your machine

Attachments

• herm 002.jpg
    herm 002.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 56
Sorry for not being more clear.

I think it is the transport stuck in stop. I opened it up to see the gear that would move when the operating buttons are pressed, and turned it to what I think is fast forward. When I powered it on, the reels spun (FFWD), but then it stopped and stayed on stop. I did install the tape correctly, and what I meant by the meter working was when I manually turned the reel, the play head was picking up the tapes signal. I can't get them to turn by pressing a button, other than when I had the "gear" in fast forward and turned it on. It looks like the only way to get fully into the machine is by unsoldering a sensor. I have the manual, but I couldn't find anything about problems.
With the tape not threaded through, the tape error appears and goes away when the tape is in. I don't think it has anything to do with any of the sensors or circuits.
When I power it on, the 3 LEDs on the unit (Power, Record, and Ready) stay on as well.

I really want to try this out, because I have only been recording digital and have heard some good things about the R8. If it was working $150 for the Fostex seemed like a really good deal.

Is a demagnetizer something that should be purchased as well (if I get this Fostex running)?

Back