Fostex r8 help me

bigbootygurl

So here I am with an r8, mixer and a bunch of rca cables.

Right now, I can record and play and do every basic function seemingly fine; however I can't for the life of me understand how I am supposed to listen to channel input while also hearing my other previously recorded channels.

I've got the rca outputs routed into my mixer (i think) fine... The problem here is that if I enable the input/mon button then it goes full input mode and I can't hear anything I've previously recorded. I think that's how it's supposed to work but I'm not sure how to use it.

Basically, I need to hear the output and the input at the same time to multitrack/overdub and I can't figure out how to get both through at once.

Is this some sort of mixer magic I don't understand?
What buttons do I need to press on the R8 to make this happen?

I can further explain if this post is a little cryptic I'm not exactly sure what I'm talking about here.

Thanks dudes

Here's what i'm looking at
r8 panel.jpg

Where do the outputs from tape go into your mixer? They should be the line-ins on channels.

More pictures of the setup may help...

From memory, I don't think you need to use the Mon button if you have a track selected for record. On other Fostex machines you just press the record button on its own to monitor the input channels (and press it again to stop input monitoring and listen to what is already recorded on the record enabled tracks) so I'd assume the R8 would be similar.

I was reading the manual for the R8 last night thought and there is an extra step to enabling record. The manual should be studied. I’ve not seen anything quite like how it’s done on the R8.

From memory, I don't think you need to use the Mon button if you have a track selected for record. On other Fostex machines you just press the record button on its own to monitor the input channels (and press it again to stop input monitoring and listen to what is already recorded on the record enabled tracks) so I'd assume the R8 would be similar.

Right now, even if I prime a track to record with the safe/ready button, I still can't hear anything from my input. The only time I get anything is from the input/mon button.

I keep looking through the manual and it doesn't really explicitly state how to hear playback/input at the same time. I might be missing something...

This was it! I got it to work I had to hold the record button then select the track.

You rock guys thanks for the help

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah that’s it...that’s the extra step. Normally you arm the track and you’re ready to go. On the R8 you have to arm it and then also select it...

Glad it is working!

:thumbs up:

Back