Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FOSTEX R8 chewing up Tapes ???

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I'll use the still shrink wrapped sealed reels and see how it goes. I'm sure it will work fine since the opened reels played fine. I only plan on recording a few projects with it. Once it's in the DAW, I don't care if the tape goes bad. If I end up incorporating analog into my daily process, I'll certainly buy new tape.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raybbj View Post
    I'll use the still shrink wrapped sealed reels and see how it goes. I'm sure it will work fine since the opened reels played fine. I only plan on recording a few projects with it. Once it's in the DAW, I don't care if the tape goes bad. If I end up incorporating analog into my daily process, I'll certainly buy new tape.
    The ones where the logo is at the bottom of the box are more likely to work than the ones with the logo in the centre.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmorris View Post
    The ones where the logo is at the bottom of the box are more likely to work than the ones with the logo in the centre.
    Yes, I agree. The ones with the logo on the bottom have been working fine so far. Now that I have the older ones transferred to DAW, I don't ever plan on playing them again. I'll cut them into 12" pieces and make christmas tinsel out of them.

Thanks
    The line on "sheds or doesn't shed" is a moving target. I have handled plenty of Quantegy branded tapes that needed to be baked. Similarly, it was said for a long time that 3M tape, e.g. 206, didn't shed. I personally had a reel of 206 within the last year that had SSS, and I've heard from others who have seen it, too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seankerns View Post
    The line on "sheds or doesn't shed" is a moving target. I have handled plenty of Quantegy branded tapes that needed to be baked. Similarly, it was said for a long time that 3M tape, e.g. 206, didn't shed. I personally had a reel of 206 within the last year that had SSS, and I've heard from others who have seen it, too.
    Haven't seen any 206 shedding but had some 966 (aka 986) which was fine when I used it a few years ago but was shedding when I tried playing it a few months ago. A short bake fixed the problem.
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thanks
    Could there be a burr or something rough - even some residue from splicing tape - that is rubbing the oxide off the tapes?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hautbois16 View Post
    Could there be a burr or something rough - even some residue from splicing tape - that is rubbing the oxide off the tapes?
    No - they're Ampex tapes so they're going to shed unless they are baked. There's no point in even thinking about playing Ampex tapes without baking them - a baked tape leaves hardly any residue whereas just playing an unbaked tape for a few seconds will leave a residue that takes ages to clean off - especially when you are using a Fostex machine where there are no slots in the heads so it is difficult to remove all contamination from the edge tracks.
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thread Information