Fostex G24S trouble with reels spinniing weird

warpspeed

Hi folks

I am trying to troubleshoot where the problem of the left and right reels spinning unexpectedly. For example, the right reel, when I press the play button, it tends to start spinning then slows down but not to a full stop. Rather, it spins slowly the almost stops, then spins a little faster etc. recurringly. When I press the stop button, it will spin really fast before finally coming to a full stop. Weird.

I am not sure if it is a control board issue. Anyone have experience and tips on "out of control reels" in general for future troubleshooting solutions?

Much appreciate your insight. This is a great site.

Question: Is there tape loaded on the machine, or have you just defeated the tape sensor and fired it up to do a quick check?
If the machine is just spinning empty reels you will get strange effects like that, because it tends to run the motors backwards gently to provide back-tension and stop the tape spilling. Likewise, when it's coming to a stop it might be trying to slow the tape down gently by applying an opposite force to the takeup reel.

If possible,...

check to see if the reel tables are firmly screwed down to the motor shafts, i.e., not slipping. @@

I second jpmorris' suggestion...are you experiencing this with tape loaded? What you describe sounds pretty normal to me if tape was not loaded.

DITTO to what others have said...and it was my first question too, was there tape loaded or not?

thank you for that question. I initially put tape on the machine and it exhibited unruly behaviour like this. Then I took off the hubs and wheel mechanism just to see if the bare motor would have the same behaviour. The motors spun normally. But when I put the weighted wheel back on the motor (specifically the right motor if you are facing the machine). Then the behaviour returned.

I will try the tape again just to be sure the behaviour occurs. Just so you know, I took the right side motor out of the machine and took it apart to clean it. I works fine as far as a DC motor goes.

I will update you shortly, after I reassemble the wheels and add tape.

Thanks all of you for responding.

Back