Fostex E-22 Master Deck panning question

yetipur

Hi,

So I record on my Fostex E-16 1/2" 16 track....mix...then go to my Fostex E-22 1/2" master deck. I get playback from my master deck with the panning I applied in my mixdown. Now my question, when I took my master reel to a mastering house, everything on my reel played back without any panning ie., all the sounds were right in the middle. Why is this so?

Thanks

What did the mastering engineer say? Was playback completely mono, or just different stereo than what you had heard in your studio?

That's a mystery. Out of interest, was your deck calibrated to an MRL tape? I'm thinking specifically of head alignment. Also, the E22 is a 3-track machine isn't it? Did you use the centre-track timecode? Was the engineer able to decode it?

Sounds like your mastering house screwed up. Call them up and tell them what happen.
Could be when they put it into the computer they messed up.
Dont just let it go.

+1 to that.

The tracks aren't in stereo on the deck...the mastering house can put the two tracks wherever they want in the stereo field. Sounds to me like they simply neglected to pan the tracks because there is nothing "in stereo" on the tape so it shouldn't matter...its what happens to the tracks between the playback deck and the mastering recorder.

Back