Fostex E-16 Mixer setup?

SuperZebra

Hey first time poster here,
recently bought myself a 16 track reel to reel as Im wanting to start recording more analog and move away from the digital recording that Im used to. that being the case I now have my E-16 and am now looking into what mixer I should purchase but realised I couldn't for the life of me work out how a reel to reel would connect to a mixer and back. I looked on the back of the recorder and noticed each of the 16 tracks have both an input and an output, I take it this means I would need a mixer that had both and i/o for each individual track? would this mean the mixer would need more than one input? As i said I cant seem to think it through in my head nor have i been able to find much online on the subject so not sure where I need to start in regards to buying a mixer so any help would be appreciated.
cheers in advance.

Most mixers will accommodate a 16-track deck with some sort of Group/Monitor section in 8, 16 or more channels. Decide how many tracks you will be recording simultaneously, and then look for that number of Group/Monitor channels...assuming you're going to be recording through the mixer to the tape deck.
You can also record direct to the tape deck if you have outboard preamps, and then their output goes to the tape deck.

For bring channels back from the tape deck to the mixer....there may be Tape Return input son the mixer, or you can just run the tape outputs to the channel Line inputs.

There's a variety of ways you can use a tape deck with a mixer...and there are a variety of mixers that can work. The first thing to do is consider your needs and your workflow, that way you can find the right mixer, but again, many will be flexible enough, especially of they are *recording* mixers and not PA mixers for live use, which will not have a big enough monitoring section or the tape returns.

The other thing is budget and physical size that fits your situation.
Where are you located?

If you can't get a suitable recording mixer, an alternative is to use two live mixing desks - one at the back to mix the recorder outputs down to stereo, and a front-end mixer which sits between the instruments and the recorder inputs. If you're layering instruments one at a time, that can work well, especially if you need to record two instruments on the same track at once.
If you need to record lots of tracks simultaneously, e.g. if you're recording as an entire band rather than a solo artist, you'll either want a mixer with a lot of output groups, or you could record directly into the Fostex through a patchbay and sort out the EQ during mixdown.

If im honest id rather avoid multiple desks and repaching wires for play back and recording. Id like a mixer that i could hook up and have stationary, perhaps i could go between play back and record via a switch? Im not too sure how that would work to be honest.

First determine what would be more comfortable for you routing wise.Split or inline console.
Being in Scotland a plethora of domestic made Soundcraft,Soundtracs,DDA,Trident etc...consoles will be available and serviceable.

Gary

... i am based in Scotland.

Too far across the water...too bad. :(
I've got a TASCAM M3500 24 channel recording mixer that I want to move out...it's just taking up room and not being used.

There's a guy here with the forum handle: altruistica
He hasn't posted in awhile, but I believe he is in the London area, and last time he posted, I think he was revamping his whole setup, and I know he had more than one mixing console. I wouldn't be surprised he may still be looking to thin out his setup.
Shoot him a PM here on the forums...you never know. :)
At least you can take a drive to London without having to cross the Atlantic. :D

There's no need to repatch wires for either a split or inline desk. The repatching is done by switches on each channel. If you want a more obvious layout I'd suggest a split desk as I find the signal flow more obvious. With an inline desk you share each channel between 2 inputs - one for tape and one for the signal to be recorded. You can switch sections of each channel between tape and input.

On the E16 you need only connect the first 8 inputs if you have an 8 group desk as inputs 1-8 are internally connected to inputs 9-16 if nothing is plugged into inputs 9-16.

There are a large variety of mixing desks around that would work - your choice is going to be dictated by the condition of the desk as too many dodgy pots and switches will cause major problems. If you are on a tight budget take a look at the Studiomaster range - some people dislike them but I used a Mixdown with my E-16 and it was a good combination. If you want something better then try looking for something fully modular as this makes cleaning the pots and switches far easier. I moved up to an Allen and Heath Saber which I still use today - it is equally happy working with professional 2" machines as it is with the E-16.

If you HAVE to go for something new and "budget" a while ago I scribbled out a circuit for "tape/source" switching for TRS inserts. Could just be a rake of mini toggles or something clever with relays.

For better understanding of the various mixer architectures seek out Duggy Self's "Small Signal Audio Design".

Dave.

I run both a Fostex D160 and Tascam ATR 1" 16 track through a 24 channel S/craft Spirit Studio, it has tape send and returns on each channel and works damned, fine, splendid for a "non-professional" facility.

A second hand unit may need some TLC BUT it really isn't difficult. Of course there are other options out there, which way you go is up to you.

:cool:

Back