Fostex B-16D issues

eh...

I dunno about SLAMMING THE TAPE on these machines. The Dolby C kinda keeps everything secure from saturation. You'll have to crank something calibration wise to even come close to achieving tape saturation. If the thing's still factory calibrated, then it's running at +5. If you use a +3 level tape like 406 or 407, you might get some grungy saturation. lol. Could be a good thing or a bad thing. Good luck w/ that.

I got some test clip adapters, but I will let you know when I actually start to tweak this machine. (Finals week. not enough time :( )

And about using 499/GP9, Not too sure about that. I know that the Fostex electronics aren't meant to be cranked too high, and using 499 tape on a +5 operating level.........yeah it'll give you less noise in the tracks, but seems to me that the sound quality of the actual recording would suffer. You may try calibrating it up to +8, but that may sound terrible. I dunno.

I've Calibrated the Dolby Encode (aka Repro level). Since the manual stated the instructions in reference to a +5 cal tape, and I have a +6 cal tape, I set the voltage of each channel NOT at 350mV, but at 400mV, which seems like one step higher. This sound correct?

-callie-

(The reason I added 50 mV, is because as I adjusted the rep level down, each increment on the bar meter seemed to be 50 mV higher, or lower, so I figured, a step up from 350 would be 400.)

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this thing's running at 30 ips. (?!?!?!) Is it supposed to be that way, or should I just tell the dang capstan to calm down?

Ok, sorry for ranting, but,

Turns out, the B-16D is indeed a 30-ips-only machine. :(

Looks like I'm just gonna have to sell the thing and get a 38, 48, 58, TSR-8, or Otari MX-5050 of some type. I cannot afford to run at 30 ips, with the cost of tape and all.

I don't have the cash for 16 tracks of outboard gear anyway, so, 8 tracks will do. I just wanna get rolling, somehow. Thanks for all your guys's help.

And if anybody wants this thing, just gimme a shout. Comes w/ takeup reel. my email is lockhart109@yahoo.com

Last edited:
All is well

A man in Austin is trading me his Otari 1/2" 8 track for my Fostex -- the Otari needs work, but he's gonna foot $350 of the total bill. Score.

The heads may need relapping, but I'm willing to do that if needed. This Otari looks like it could be SCHWEET with a little bit of TLC. It's in the shop, and I'm getting an estimate for repair right now. So, sorry if you were all excited about buying my Fostex, but it's taken :-)

But, if this Otari thing costs WAY TOO MUCH to repair, then my Fostx is back on the market.

-callie-

Guess I'm a little late here...the B-16D will run at 15 or 30 ips. Mine runs at 15, but used to be set up for 30. There are jumpers (and maybe a switch?) that need to be manipulated. You're basically changing the frequency divider in it. Let me know if you need more info (or you could probably e-mail Fostex again).

WOW you sure are late! (It's all right. I can't afford 16 tracks of outboard gear anyway :( )

So, SURE, how DO you set it to 15 ips?

I remember seeing a small chip-card thing on the main control card, called "30 ips divider." I removed that card, turned it on, but it still ran at 30 ips, nothing different. That's as far as I got. Didn't wanna fry anything.

I'm sure the guy I'm selling this thing to would LOVE to know how to switch it. Anyone? Bhuler?

-callie-

I just got a response back from Fostex regarding the speed switching issue. Here is what they had to say:

"The jumper on the motor can be changed but there would be a problem. After the 30 ips mod all the cards have been changed to compensate for the eq. The counter also has been changed. If you just change the jumper setting on the motor it will not sound right.
Hyon House

Director of Service

310-329-2960 x227"

So, uh, i'm leaving it as is.

Back