Fostex A8 Transport Issue

Simonperkins

Hi, This is my first post here.

I have recently acquired a Fostex A8 reel to reel recorder.

The sound is excellent and it seems to work well for about half an hour. After that in playback or record mode the capstan stops, then starts again, sometimes briefly other times for a few minutes until it just wont start again.

Is this a common problem? I am not sure yet if the capstan motor is stopping, or if the belt is slipping, I suspect the belt is Ok because it seems to have a good grip of the capstan flywheel. The capstan is stopping so it doesn't seem to be anything to do with the pinch roller pressure.

When the capstan is rolling the speed seems to be dead constant with no variation.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Simon

Possibly the flywheel pully(capstan) could be partly frozen and just need a lil light oil sprayed into it. try and see how easy it is to roll the capstan with your fingers from the outside. If its been sitting up for a while that could be the problem.If its electronic I cannot help ya there. Keep us filled in on it...I have one myself and it sat up in storage for 4 yrs. and I didn't have to do to much to do an mix on it with great results....I love this lil machine. I also have the matching A-2 2TK mixdown deck that was bought at the same time....works great and sounds great:listeningmusic:

Thanks,

I will try that.

I have tried it again since I posted, it ran for an hour and a half last night with no problems before I had to get sensible because of work this morning.

I have taken the cover and transport tray off now and am running it this evening to see if it stops again. That wy I can see if the motor stops.

Fingers crossed it is just stiff after years of neglect

I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

If it continues to fail, I'd look at the motor drive transistors. 1 or both may be getting ready to die.

Well,

I have oiled te pulley and 4 hours in it is working fine.

Thank you for your help.

I will keep an eye on it but it sounds awesome.

I love tape, you lose so much with digital - too much compression!!!

Thanks again

Simon

Well,

I have oiled te pulley and 4 hours in it is working fine.

Thank you for your help.

I will keep an eye on it but it sounds awesome.

I love tape, you lose so much with digital - too much compression!!!

Thanks again

Simon

Im happy for you man !!! :listeningmusic::thumbs up:

Glad it's working.

FYI (the 80 does this I'm going to assume the A-8 does as well, I have one of those too, but it's laid up in storage at the moment) you can manually engage the tension arms, which should engage the capstan motor. I have a broken 80 which probably has a motor fault because you don't hear the whir when you do that. (But you do on the working 80.)

Have you replaced the capstan motor belt ? The machine was probably built in 1985 or 86. I finally found someone in England that sold them on Ebay. Also replace the reel motor belts. There are 2 belts on each reel motor and 1 belt that's approx. 5/16" wide on the capstan.

Back