Fostex 820 desk - phantom power?

WarmJetGuitar

Just got a Fostex 820 desk in decent condition for very cheap. It sounds really beefy yet with enough clarity.

The odd thing is that I can't figure if it's with phantom power or not. The manual claims it has phantom power though there's no way to find it while looking on the channel strips unlike on the 450 which is a no brainer.

Anyone got experience with this board?

I got the 812 (12 channel version) - a great mixer that fits perfectly with my setup.

The phantom power switch is just below the power switch on the back of the mixer.

When I got mine a couple of years ago it was all working fine but about a year ago the phantom power started playing up where it would work for about 5 seconds then it there would be a build-up of hiss for about 3 seconds and then the phantom power cuts out (no signal from mic). Turn the phantom power off and everything works as it should and if you turn it back on it will do exactly the same thing.
Not sure what the issue is with it so I just use a rack unit to power the condensers.

Anyway, hope your one doesn't have similar problems. :o

Thanks so much mate! So there's just one switch? Would that be a problem when tracking a whole band live in a room with only the drum overheads having the need for phantom power?

Yes, just one switch ie. no individual phantom power switch for each channel.

I've used a mix of dynamic and condenser mics and the dynamic mics aren't affected by the phantom power. It's really only if you have ribbon mics and apparently some very old/cooky dynamic mics that could get damaged if you run phantom power through them.

Is the 820 true inline console? by that I mean are there 40 inputs at mix time. Are both the line inputs and tape returns available simultaneously. I had the chance to by one for 175 but I need more than 20 inputs at mixdown. I always liked the sound of Fostex mixers even though they never caught on in Cleveland. I used one on an analog recording in the 80s and was quite happy considering the price I paid for it.

Is the 820 true inline console? by that I mean are there 40 inputs at mix time. Are both the line inputs and tape returns available simultaneously. I had the chance to by one for 175 but I need more than 20 inputs at mixdown. I always liked the sound of Fostex mixers even though they never caught on in Cleveland. I used one on an analog recording in the 80s and was quite happy considering the price I paid for it.

You have to use a switch to go between using the channel as a preamp or for mixdown/monitoring. Does that make it an inline console? I'd never really understood the term.

You have to use a switch to go between using the channel as a preamp or for mixdown/monitoring. Does that make it an inline console? I'd never really understood the term.

Yes. That's a form of inline. On my Tascam 2524 I can use one channel strip as both input and tape return at the same time though. Thus giving me 48 channels on mixdown as opposed to 24.

Yes. That's a form of inline. On my Tascam 2524 I can use one channel strip as both input and tape return at the same time though. Thus giving me 48 channels on mixdown as opposed to 24.

Nice opportunity. When it's time for mixdowns I think we'll send the tracks into the inputs instead of the tape return as adding some extra gain can be quite pleasant to the ear.
I start to like this desk more and more, it's easy getting used to. Fostex is criminally underrated.
The only real flaw is that the direct outs is exclusively jack which is slightly lame as every Fostex recorder I had encountered is based on phono/RCA.

I consider using it combined with a Yamaha EM-300 for mixdown. But maybe that'll create too much noise.
It's just that I like the slightly distorted sounds of for instance Otis Reddings "Otis Blue" and and the 820 don't seem to get me that in the same way as old PA desks.

If we only had the cash we had found somewhere with a Pultec and a plate reverb for final mixdown when time comes...

I agree about Fostex being underrated. The synchronization capabilities dwarf any of the industry standards Ive ever used. And my G 16 has the most stable transport Ive ever encountered. Automated punch in 10 locate points. and I never have to pay for 2 inch tape again. Im a happy man. It doesn't sound like a studer or ampex, but I never get any complaints and I find I like dolby a little better than DBX. My first home setup was with a Fostex mixer and I found it a good match for analog recording because it seemed a little brighter and more articulate than the other mixers in its price range although I don't think it sounded like anything special. I still have a A&H but its too large for my current location so Im currently using a Tascam m2524 that I love the features on, but readily admit doesn't have the sound or my A&H.

Back