Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Finding the right mixer for my Tascam 48 & Routing Questions

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilljam View Post
    The M1516 is a good mixer, great if you want 16 channel mixer but don't want something too bulky. The limitation with it compared to other 16 channel Tascam mixers is that it only has direct outs on 8 of the 16 channels, which is fine for you if you are only doing 8 track tape recording, but it didn't work well for me as I used it with a Tascam MSR16
    If I recall correctly, it is an 8 track machine he’s running. So the M1516 should do the job just fine. Can be run as a split console, and all the channel settings for tracking never have to be messed with.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RFR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Ahh...why do you call that the "producer's desk"...?
    That's not what that is.

A producer's desk is just a piece of furniture to one (or both) sides of the console, so that a producer can sit there and write notes, drink coffee, and act like he's in charge.
    It has nothing to do with any of the console controls or channel strips.

The empty desktop to the right side of the console shown here is the "producer's desk".

Attachment 106258
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. What he’s referring to is called the monitor mixer on that M-300 mixer he has pictured. Or if it has monitor return faders and pan controls or otherwise some controls to monitor a second source (such as tape returns) inline with an input channel strip that is just inline monitoring...not a “producer’s desk”.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    If I recall correctly, it is an 8 track machine he’s running. So the M1516 should do the job just fine. Can be run as a split console, and all the channel settings for tracking never have to be messed with.
    I agree...plus the M-1516 features inline monitoring via the “DUAL” input feature...should accommodate the OP’s setup quite nicely.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Ahh...why do you call that the "producer's desk"...?
    That's not what that is.

A producer's desk is just a piece of furniture to one (or both) sides of the console, so that a producer can sit there and write notes, drink coffee, and act like he's in charge.
    It has nothing to do with any of the console controls or channel strips.

The empty desktop to the right side of the console shown here is the "producer's desk".

Attachment 106258
    Call it whatever you want. I owned & worked in recording studios starting in 1975. I owned a studio with an original Allen & Heath mixer that has a manual that refers to the monitor section as the "producer's desk" or some people called the "monitor section" the point is what it does, not what it is called.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by motterpaul View Post
    ... the point is what it does, not what it is called.
    The point is that there is accurate audio terminology, so calling it "whatever you want" doesn't work...it only misleads people who are here to learn.
    What Allen & Heath had in some manual doesn't follow what the rest of the recording industry calls a "producer's desk".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Forget the Model 15 as that is too old. I have a M520 and a model 50 as well. I do not do recording like you do as I am no musician but used them for control of many decks I had at the time. The M520 is a great mixer. I had just repaired a M2516 mixer not too long ago and it had a number of things wrong with it. I ended up resoldering all the buss connections and also the power supply that had broken solder joints on it. It was working 100% after about 10 hours of work on it.
    Any mixer you consider can be determined suitable by examination before you get it by study of the block diagrams and signal path diagrams. You don't need to know electronics for this. Just an understanding of Buss and line ins and so forth. I think if you have a DAW hooked up the consideration to have 8 channel of effects can be worked down to two or 4 as the Aux lines would provide. 8 channel of effects can get expensive and you can do a couple tracks at a time to gain the effects if not apply them through software. Why else use a DAW if you want to do all of it by effects in the analog domain.
    I have used the M320 when I was at a Church Studio and I did FM broadcasts and also recorded demo tapes through it with no problems.
    I have worked with most mixers that Teac had made as I was there repairing them and even do so now as space will allow.
    Best regards,
    Skywave Tape Deck Repair, Chicago area

9. The Following User Says Thank You to skywaveTDR For This Useful Post:

Thread Information