Finding 1/4" tape heads and otehr parts.

regebro

Insane Genious!
Does anybody know a place that sells new tape heads? And I'm not looking for replacement heads for anything. This is new stuff, not replacement. :)

I also would like circuits, either complete, kits or just the drawings, for the electronics of a tape recorder.

This is to check the feasability of a new secret project. No I'm not gonna discuss building the ultimate tape delay with you. It's secret! :cool:

Ooops!:eek:

www.jrfmagnetics.com

These guys have more new heads then anyone else that I have seen so far on the net.

Good luck with the secret project!

I have heard of using two machines, side by side and just adjusting the closed loop of tape between them by separating the machines further apart.

Vari-speed kits are also very helpful for this application!

:)

Jrfmagnetics unfortunately have no pricelist on heads. :rolleyes:

Besides, they mostly offer replacement heads, which by it's nature typically is more expensive than necessary. But that is on the other hand all I have found so far...

http://www.openreel.net/ is one an Japan. They have heads for 5250 Yen, which is like $40-$50 or so which I find OK. But I get the feeling it would be easier to get them from the States. :)

Vari speed kits could indeed be of interest, so I don't have to design thatr myself. On the other hand, the motor doesn't need much oomps, so I would probably use a motor that is much smaller than a standard reel motor, and then the kits probably is a mismatch.

Motors and controllers for that is more standard and easier to find that heads, so I'll worry about that next. :)

You would be better off buying a few used machines from eBay than starting from scratch. A lot of the engineering will be already done.

Regebro,
like Ghost said, JRF, magnetic is the best source for heads, they are not so expensive, cheaper then other sources like Teac.
It depends how many tracks you are looking for, 4 , 8 or ?
More tracks is more $..
I understand you working on a secret mission, but how many tracks do you want ? I got many schematics from simple mono-recorders from the 50's up to late 80's all different brands and models, I be happy to share a copy if you can be more specific.

Derek Verner said:
You would be better off buying a few used machines from eBay than starting from scratch. A lot of the engineering will be already done.

I'm thinking about it. I could use the heads and electronics that way. But I wanna check the options. But that's really all I can use. Oh, well, I can use the pinch roller and capstan too, but that's it.

2 tracks should be quite enough. More than stereo seems like overkill.

Well, mr smartypants, I'm not.

I'm envisioning THREE extra playback heads for a grand total of four! :eek: At least. :cool:

By no micrometer adjusting is needed, just the standard adjustments for getting the azimuth right and so on.

Back