External soundcard damaged

psihobambi

Hi, my Audiobox USB external soundcard suddenly stopped sending left output signals. To be exact it only sends them within a certain dB area. View image: P1130426 BB

When I try to twist the main knob a bit more, only right speaker works.(I've tried switching cables, so that sound from the left stereo field (left output) goes to the right speaker, and the exact same thing happens. Just to the right speaker.) View image: P1130422 BB

View image: P1130423
I've tried pushing that metal thingy inside a L output hole a bit with a screwdriver, and it solved my problem for an hour or so.

View image: P1130424

View image: P1130425

I am new here. Didn't find a thread that resembles my problem. Hope this is the right sub for this.

*I already tried putting some medicine alcohol on the knob.

I've tried pushing that metal thingy inside a L output hole a bit with a screwdriver, and it solved my problem for an hour or so.

Get a hammer...and with the screwdriver inside the metal thingy...hit the screwdriver as hard as you can...
...then spray the whole thing with some alcohol and set a match to it.
That will permanently solve your problem.

If you're going to break something...never do a half-assed job of it.

If the pot isn't wrecked you might try some Caig Deoxit or maybe their Contact Cleaner & Rejuvenator on it. If the pot is the source of the problem then the 1/4" connector isn't to blame and it was just coincidence that messing with the contacts seemed to help.

Miro's point was that you shouldn't go sticking screwdrivers into your gear without a better grasp of electronics unless you're prepared to end up wrecking it. I've seen way more obnoxious people on the internet.

Last edited:
In my line of work, I come across this phenomenon all the time. People self diagnosing problems then trying to "fix" it themselves.
Usually the outcome of this, is there are parts now that need to be ordered and the repair now costs twice as much.
Some get upset, but I have no choice but to tell them, "Hey, you brought it on youself"
The moral of the story is know before you go. Sticking screwdrivers in holes that carry current is generally not a good idea.

Most times this forum is pretty good at helping diagnose the real cause for the problems. If you dont know, ask questions first, then bring out the tools.

As to Miro's response, he can be pretty helpful, but doesn't reward stupidity.

Good luck with getting it fixed.

Last edited:
It was the "pushed the metal thingy with a screwdriver" that got me.
When it's set up like that...I can't pass up the opportunity. :D

I mean...common sense should tell you that if you're calling it a "metal thingy"...you should probably leave it alone. :p

That said...I wish him the best and hope he gets it working.

Will I let this slide ? Nope.
1. I didn't go berserk with the screwdriver
2. Screwdriver didn't brake it. It actually gave me a temporary fix and kinda showed me where the problem lies. Read the original thread.
3. Miro, just tell me when to laugh next time. Your sense of humor is rough around the edges. That said I wish you the best and hope you get to polish it.
4. It's funny, because I posted the same thread on Tom's Hardware where people are much more versed in these kind of problems.
Zero self-pretentious people ..helped me and didn't act like they were smarter than the rest of the world.
I posted this thread here also because I got so much help so far here and I LOVE this forum.
5. Obv. Miroslav has got some mad reputation over here. That's the only thing that could explain you all acting this way.
6. I post a picture asking how do I clean this type of potentiometer, and the lovely mate down below just says use Deoxit. I mean..
But, he is the only one that offered a solution, so .. thank you for that.

Will I let this slide ? Nope.
1. I didn't go berserk with the screwdriver
2. Screwdriver didn't brake it. It actually gave me a temporary fix and kinda showed me where the problem lies. Read the original thread.
3. Miro, just tell me when to laugh next time. Your sense of humor is rough around the edges. That said I wish you the best and hope you get to polish it.
4. It's funny, because I posted the same thread on Tom's Hardware where people are much more versed in these kind of problems.
Zero self-pretentious people ..helped me and didn't act like they were smarter than the rest of the world.
I posted this thread here also because I got so much help so far here and I LOVE this forum.
5. Obv. Miroslav has got some mad reputation over here. That's the only thing that could explain you all acting this way.
6. I post a picture asking how do I clean this type of potentiometer, and the lovely mate down below just says use Deoxit. I mean..
But, he is the only one that offered a solution, so .. thank you for that.

Miroslav has good rep here because he's a genuinely nice helpful contributing member, not to mention a bright creative person.

This is going to be different than Tom's Hardware because we're a mix of creative artists and technically minded people. I'm about equally both... mad genius on the edge of insanity, musician, writer, composer, engineer, inventor, good kisser, great lover, etc and so on and so forth. I could kiss for hours and then tease her for a few more hours before even thinking about intercourse. I believe in foreplay. That's how I roll.

But enough about me.

We wouldn't want our members here to be any less colorful and entertaining than they are. I understand the frustration when you've got an issue and are looking for a solution. All of us are going to have days where something strikes the funny bone and we're not going to be all that helpful. But the next week that same person may talk you through giving yourself chest compressions and rescue breaths, saving your very life.

So don't take yourself or anyone else too seriously. Skip over the replies that you don't find helpful and be grateful for the ones that help you solve your problem.

Most of all be mindful that many of us here have spent a good part of our lives getting paid good money for services and consulting that people now expect us to give away for free on forums like these... and we do just that. We have every right to goof around on occasion. We don't even get sick days or paid vacation. No 401k, no nothing. ;)

Well, I found Miro's reply amusing. Like him, it was your "screwdriver on the metal thingy" comment that got me!

Seriously, I'm not sure what answer you're looking for. There's an electronic fault inside your Audiobox, likely (but not for sure) in the Main output pot. If it is that, some circuit cleaner might fix it or it might mean replacing the component (and don't forget...it's only PROBABLY that pot).

The thing is though, if you have sufficient electronic knowledge to do the needed work you probably wouldn't have posted the question you did (or used the phrase "metal thingy". Although relatively simple to do some checking, you'll need to dis-assemble your Audiobox--and things like a multimeter and soldering iron will be needed. Oh, and a local electronics shop where you can buy spare pots, contact cleaner or whatever you turn out to need.

What it won't be is a simple, non technical answer. It also won't be economic to fix unless you do the work yourself (or have a mate willing to take payment in beer).

So...if you want a learning curve, take apart your interface and see if cleaning or replacing the pot fixes it. If not, look for bad solder joints and connections elsewhere inside. Have fun and learn a bit of electronics.

Or...save up for a new interface because it's unlikely it'll be economic to find somebody else paid by the hour to fix a hundred dollar interface.

Sorry.

Guys, thanks for the props, but might as well let him have his anger moment....'cuz he said he's not letting it slide. :)

Good satire is wasted on folks who can't laugh at themselves.
I think I'll go check out Tom's Hardware...see if I can get a chuckle there. ;)

Back