Estimate on my 388!

Herm

Well they called about my 388 today and said it would be 200.00
to rebuild the power supply. So I told them to go ahead and do it. Now im going to have about 550.00 in the recorder providing that there is nothing else wrong with it.
After checking on ebay i see that they range anywhere from 350. to 750. so I guess that, s not to bad if everything works after they do the power supply.

I hope its worth it.

That's good, Herm.

For -net- $550, be happy you have a great unit at a competitive price. There's nothing wrong with that, deal-wise, 'cept for the annoyance and inconvenience factor.

Cost-wise, you're right in the median price range for the 388.;)

Everything went well except they have moved since you where there last. They are about 3 blocks south of the address you gave me. They have a loading zone infront of the store now so drop off is no big deal.
So far so good They got the unit saturday and I got a call today about the estimate and they said it would probably be done this week. All in all it,s been pretty painless so far except the 200 buck,s and the drive back up there to pick it up. That part Im not looking forward to.

Thanks for the tip Billy hopefully everything will work out ok.

That's good Herm, best of luck.

Yeah, drive time is a pain, sometimes, but I feel'ya, because the TEAC America/TASCAM plant is about 1.5 hours south of me,... on a good day, without traffic jams.

It's not like you want to make that trip every day, just for fun!

I also have certain fixer items I'd like to shag down to Tascam, as yet TBA, but worse, Tascam's service labor rate is ~$125! I scope most of my fixer-buying and efforts as DIY, but there's some unavoidable times when actual Tascam service is best. Like with the MD-564, f/i.

[read this subliminal message: 388-collab, 388-collab, 388-collab, 388-collab, 388-collab, 388-collab,...]

Anyway, did you read my previous post, as I pondered aloud the possibilities of cranking up the 388 to 15ips? Oh, yeah, that's another good one that I have to try in the "lab", [ha], maybe soon/TBD. If I could get the 388 to successfully operate at 15ips, I might really have something! [... a reason worthy of buying up every remaining 388 out there!] Haha.;)

Oh yeah, good luck, hope you're happy with the 388, finally, and Hi-Ho Tascam, here I come!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything went well except they have moved since you where there last. They are about 3 blocks south of the address you gave me. They have a loading zone infront of the store now so drop off is no big deal.."

Herm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yikes, I hope you didn't have to find out they moved the hard way Herm. (Sorry)

Thats awesome that they have a loading zone spot now, that in itself must have been worth the move,

Again-Opps

:)

$550 is a good price for a 388, no doubt. Unless you are gonna sync loads of synths to it you won't need more until the day that you want more tracks, and that day may not come. :)

I'm happy with my 8-tracks, and quite often, even when I don't sync anything, end up with some extra tracks I don't know what to do with. So I double track the guitars. :)

Seriously though, if Dave's proposing a 388 owner's collab then I wanna sign up.

I can do vocals, guitars and percussion (not drums).

Im in on any collab once i get the 388 back and am sure its working ok. And I learn how to turn it on.

I will try and do some drums!

It's the rocker switch at the back on the right hand side. Or the left, if you're actually looking at the back and not just fumbling around from the front.

Yeah, a 388 collab would be cool!

1/2"-8 [Tascam 38] is okay with me, too, but the 7"/1200 reel of 1/4" tape would be lighter and easier to shuttle around.

The 388's the bomb! It's time we made ourselves be heard, and... with all due respect,... show those P5'ers and 788'ers just who their dealing with!;)

I'm still good with the 1/2"-8-collab too, but want to throw the 388-collab idea on the table.;)

BTW: Mark7, did you get anything out of those 388 tech diagrams I posted? Give me your e-, and I could send you the full sized scans. [Had to shrink them considerably for bbs-post].

Hey Dave

I don't have the Image Manipulation Software to do anything with them I'm afraid :( But thanks anyway.

So, will you do the bass line? I have a bass but no bass amp or decent D.I. box. If we put together a rhythm bed (guitar, bass and drums) on six tracks then we can bounce them down to the last two and give ourselves 6 for overdubs. Just an idea.

I'm not sure I'm all hot to trot on bouncing, right off.

Maybe see if there's an arrangement of a song that will fit onto 8 primary tracks, and probably get a stronger sound, in the long run.

It depends a bit on the song, and each bounce would have to be 100% right on.

Still, bouncing is a secondary technique to me, for the most part, f/i, I'll bounce a maraca/tambourine behind another track, like vocal or guitar. Using a few track bounces during regular track overdubbing can help pack the tracks, without suffering the full-bounce reduction techique.

6-to-2 bounce is not horrendous, and could be useful, f/i, if you wanted to reduce 6-drum tracks to 2, but I'd probably reduce the 6 drum mics to 3 tape tracks, kick/snare/kit-distant, and record it live, as opposed to the bounce technique.

Anyway, that's my 2c. Bouncing's cool, if you don't overdo it. I do a sparing amount of it. It takes a little pre-planning. It's also a personal thing. It can be good and useful, once in a while.

Hey Reel (Or anyone),

I put together a list of most of the Analog Tascam mixers, but I'm still in the dark about all but two recorders (38 and Porta 02) in terms of model #, tracks and format, so I'm wondering if you by chance have a list or a link (Other than Ebay which I used to collect my mixer list- lol ) that you can please post?

(If not no big deal-I'll just Ebay it again.)

Thanks Fellas

Interesting question! The 38 and Porta02 could not be more different!

38:
- Discrete, reel-to-reel recorder
- 1/2" tape @ 15ips,
- dbx optional, DX-4D's [2]
- 10.5" open reels, large NAB hubs
- 8-in/8-out on RCA jacks, -10dbV operation
- Simul-sync recording, up to 8-simul recording
- Dump-EDIT function, switchable
- VU Meters
- Large/heavy table-sitting or rackmount unit
- Rack rails extra
- RC-71 wired remote, extra. [or RC-90/equiv]
- RC-30P punch-in/out pedal, extra
- MRL Cal-tape #31J229, IEC Equalization @ 250nWb/m
- Requires external mixer for input/cue/output mixing

Porta-02:
- "Ministudio", all-in-one format
- Type II cassette tape @ 1-7/8ips - Normal speed/fixed
- NO dbx, NO noise reduction
- basic stereo [tracks 1 & 2] format compatible with consumer stereo cassette, [NO NR]
- 2-inputs w/TRIM control
- Records up to 2-tracks simultaneously
- Simul-sync record up to 4 tracks in one direction
- LED Level 'meters', [2] 4-segment LED bars
- Output/cue monitor, [4] GAIN/PAN & NO EQ
- mkII model has dedicated Hi-Z guitar input
- RC-30P punch-in/out pedal, extra
- Cal-tape: Tascam special order
- Small, notebook sized unit
- External power supply module

38: Eats Porta02's for lunch.;)

Re: I'm not sure I'm all hot to trot on bouncing, right off.

A Reel Person said:
Maybe see if there's an arrangement of a song that will fit onto 8 primary tracks, and probably get a stronger sound, in the long run.

It depends a bit on the song, and each bounce would have to be 100% right on.

Still, bouncing is a secondary technique to me, for the most part, f/i, I'll bounce a maraca/tambourine behind another track, like vocal or guitar. Using a few track bounces during regular track overdubbing can help pack the tracks, without suffering the full-bounce reduction techique.

6-to-2 bounce is not horrendous, and could be useful, f/i, if you wanted to reduce 6-drum tracks to 2, but I'd probably reduce the 6 drum mics to 3 tape tracks, kick/snare/kit-distant, and record it live, as opposed to the bounce technique.

Anyway, that's my 2c. Bouncing's cool, if you don't overdo it. I do a sparing amount of it. It takes a little pre-planning. It's also a personal thing. It can be good and useful, once in a while.

Okay, bouncing only the bass and the drums, how about something like this:

Track 1: Lead Vocal
Track 2: Harmony Vocal
Track 3: Harmony Vocal
Track 4: Lead Guitar
Track 5: Keyboard
Track 6: Rhythm Guitar
Tracks 7 & 8: Bass and Drums

Or, with a mono drum mix:

Track 1: Lead Vocal
Track 2: Harmony Vocal
Track 3: Harmony Vocal
Track 4: Lead Guitar
Track 5: Keyboard
Track 6: Rhythm Guitar
Track 7: Bass Guitar
Track 8: Drums.

We could even comp the Har-vox to one track if you prefer and use the spare for cowbell. ;)

I'm cool with throwing each instrument to a single track.

That's pretty much the norm for me, with exceptions, of course./DA

LOL-Thanks Reel (I'm sorry my question read a bit confusing.)
I wrote I'm in the dark about all but two machines...
Meaning I know about those two, but not the rest of the Tascam line.

I give you huge props for the details, but I'm just kind of looking for: Model # - Track amount - Format

I don't want to bother you, so it's ok I can find on Ebay I guess.

Thanks & Sorry

Back