erase my tapes

cat-eggs

hi.

i heard about those hand-held tape erasers, which are just electromagnets, so i made an electromagnet and it sucks. is there a fast way to wipe out a cassette without spending money?

no no no kids. Get a bulk eraser. It's an electromagnet. you can wipe cassettes, reel to reels, even DATs with the right kind. The trick is getting an even randomization of the magnetic domains. so don't put it on a speaker cabinent. If you don't do it right you get "bumps"

don't run your machine record mode. It adds more hours to your heads. That's why we use bulk erasers, plus it's much faster.

sweetnubs said:
no no no kids. Get a bulk eraser. It's an electromagnet. you can wipe cassettes, reel to reels, even DATs with the right kind. The trick is getting an even randomization of the magnetic domains. so don't put it on a speaker cabinent. If you don't do it right you get "bumps"

What needs to happen to realign the particles is to expose the tape to a strong magnetic field, and slowly collapse the field. Some bulk erasers do that for you, other (like the old one I have), you must activate the electromagnet, then slowly pull the tape out of the field. Takes a few tries to get it.

Just my $.02. YMMV:)

mike

Back