EMAGIC LOGIC: Midi Sync Mode

ready_two

Hi!

I'm new there and already have a problem with Midi Sync ...

In my case (Logic 5.5.1 PC & Tascam 688) Midi Sync not realy works... because my sequencer jump to play modus, but not run with Tascam ... It just stay by first bar ...Maybe YOU
have this Sync combination and can send me the Logic song to see the right settings for Logic?

If you understand German see this thread: http://www.logicuser.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19267

Greetings, Ready

Not enough information.

Have you striped smpte on the 688? Which frame rate used? What is your computer interface card? Does it read smpte? does it successfully communicate with the smpte coming from 688? Or is it expecting mtc and not smpte? what are logic's smpte settings at? Or are they set for mtc? Is Logic set for slave lock?

Before you ever play one second of the song, you must clarify that sync is communicating with the two setups. You haven't given the details of your physical setup for sync capability ....that info must be detailed here before there can be any troubleshooting help.

Hi, BRDTS!

>>....that info must be detailed here before there
>> can be any troubleshooting help.
Indeed it was a poor input ... ;)

>>Have you striped smpte on the 688?
I use Tascams MTS (Midi Tape Sync build in system). Sequencer (out, in)<--midi --> (in, out) Tascam, There is no midi feedback ... Yes its striped correctly. And I can see music bar increasing by playing "stripped" Tascam. My sequencer jump to the beginning of the song and nothing more happens ...

>> What is your computer interface card?
BOSS GS-10, see its midi implementation:
http://www.frtg.de/bossgs10.jpg
You see, my interface sends no SYSTEM CLOCK and Song Position Pointer ... Is that the problem. I try an other interface next ...

>>Does it read smpte?
Tascam? NO! Not by MTS. And a soundcard can't usally read SMPTE... For that I need Tape Sunchronizer om my sequencers MIDI IN , or?

>>Or are they set for mtc?
Yes, I send Midi Clock (MC) or is MC not equal to MTC (MIDI TIME CLOCK) ???

>>Is Logic set for slave lock?
Yes.

I hope you can help me a little now ...

My fault was, that I tought, I do not need a Midi-Tape-Sync, because i have MIDI on my Tascam, but Tascams MTS seems to be not an up to date solution and Logic can't run as a slave with Tascam.

I monitored Midi In from stripped Tascam there are:

FA - Start

FC - Stop (also by Pause and the end of song in Tascam)

F2 xx xx
and FB - if tascam play again

Why I can't see the Midi Clock signal as midi events??

Greetings, Ready

....use Tascams MTS (Midi Tape Sync build in system)....

There's your problem. The mts system is only for starting/stopping midi clocks over a period of time in relation to a recorded off/on tone recorded to tape. It was a primitive method to allow standalone midi equipment to "sort of" play along with an unsynchronized tape. It's not much more than an electronic off/on switch.

Mts contains no embedded time code of any type....it won't let anything "chase" anything...or lock..because no machine in the hookup knows where the other machine is in time...much less has any ability to do anything to get the pieces in sync....therefore, no, you can't expect MTS to work for sync and chaselock.

Yes...many sound cards (including all pro cards) DO read smpte and or word clock, and or adat clock, and/or mtc....which are the only types of timing that Logic can "chase".

For example...if you recorded a few tracks of audio on the 688...and smpte time code on one track, you could feed the time code track to any number of convertors that would get the smpte....turn it into mtc...plug that signal into the pc sound card (via cards made by companies such as echo, rme etc) and then Logic would see the time code track and lock to it...ie:..every time you hit play on the 688, Logic would chase in perfect sync.

Mts was never designed for chaselock.

Thanks! I olny not really undarstand the last passage ...

Midi PC on <-> Tape Sync Box <-> Ext Sync on Tascam

Are the Tape Sync Boxes like Yamaha YMC10 or Midiman Smartsync the right boxes??? Is there a difference between Tape Sync and SMPTE or is an Tape Sync Box per se an SMPTE/MIDI converter?

And if I see Motu Timepiece,wich have SMPTE connectors, can I directly connecet these to Tascam Ext Sync I/O ??? An SMPTE in/OUT is also an build in Tape Sync in a midi interface?

And after striping Tascam with SMPTE signal, do I need both connenctions or it is enough to connect Tascams Ext Sync Out to Tape Sync Box in and then its (box) Midi Out to sequencer Midi In ??? I mean make a master sequencer and slave Tascam some handshakes until playing/stoping ect. ???

Greetings, Ready

There seem to be a few 688/pc sync discussions around already...one I notice on the Tascam boards.

Last edited:
So I exchanged my midiinterface (BOSS GS-10) to an other interface EES2/4 and it works a little bit more now! Logic jumps to the beginning and runs. But with a first midi or VSTi sequence it seems to go nuts... It looks like a Midi feedback, but there is no one... (I disconected also Midi Out from sequencer (slave) from Midi In of my Tascam (striped master) - no changes ...)

Greetings, Ready

Back