Electronic repair and and anyone who was in the Army.........

I was in a while back and was trained for about 9 months at Ft. Devens, Mass. It was very good component level theory and troubleshooting for transmitters and receivers. It stopped short of circuit design but after the Army I went thru some EE courses and picked up some of that with the GI Bill.

I was in the Army Security agency as a 33G so I got a Top Security clearance out of it too which came in handy out in civilian life.

The 35E looks good and may have more field components to the training meaning maybe more higher level repairs like at the board level, card cage and wiring harness areas. I'm just guessing, best thing to do is try to find an army or college forum
and try to catch a real 35E and see what it is. The recruiter will tell you too but I'd get a couple of 2nd opinions.

I'd do it again myself. From watching current events you can see your tour of duty may include assignments that are very tough.

Good luck !

kylen

Last edited:
Ya I talked to a Recruiter online but they just give the run-of-the-mill "its perfect, so sign up!"

I figure if I can learn all the ins and outs of circuitry and what all the little capacitors and things do, then after I go here I will have a good shot at getting into a VERY good recording studio as a profession.

Just out of curiosity, what was 33G, they don't have it listed anymore.

Just out of curiosity, what was 33G, they don't have it listed anymore.

That's classified !! Ha Ha...

This part isn't though, actually it was 33G Electronic Countermeasures - all kinds of jamming transmitters and communications stuff - largely high wattage not little pencil things like James Bond might have.
kylen

To be perfectly honest, the few techs I've worked with that had military training were quite ignorant of a lot of component theory. You would be better off going to a two-year tech school in my opinion. Unless, you are set on serving, and just need a field to be in.

Dethska said:
To be perfectly honest, the few techs I've worked with that had military training were quite ignorant of a lot of component theory. You would be better off going to a two-year tech school in my opinion. Unless, you are set on serving, and just need a field to be in.

Thats the thing........

I am going to join, but I think it would be nice to get something extra out of it while I am there.............but I am still thinking about just going to something less technical because I like the idea of serving in the fullest sense of the word. ie after basic I really want to tryout for airborn.

Hey kylen,

In college, a buddy of mine and myself tried to devise a system where you could directionally launch a EMP pulse at the car that just cut you off. We figured the pulse would be enough to fry the microcircuitry in the car and shut it down.

Think you could proto one out for me? Dashboard mounted and all?:D

To be perfectly honest, the few techs I've worked with that had military training were quite ignorant of a lot of component theory.

In response to that statement I can only say that when you're in a component level MOS in the military you either know it or you're bounced out to a less-techy MOS. There's all levels of techs in the military just as in civilian life.

Without knowing what MOS individuals you're talking about I couldn't say what level of training they went thru. I found it to be a very good basis for a EE program (paid for by the GI bill) after the service. In the service I was responsible for component level repair of transmitter/receiver subsystems as well as digital interfaces.

The trick is finding a real 35E and finding out if they're a pole climber, linesman or what. From reading the job description you have some broad duties so I would suspect your training will be broad and maybe not component level oriented.

kylen

Think you could proto one out for me? Dashboard mounted and all?

Ha Ha !
Yeah, but it would be classified !

Actually after my service days I went into EE for a bit but actually ended up in computers and became a software developer. So instead of sending a jolt of lightening to your car that cut you off I have to send it a virus ! :D

kylen :)

wow.....thanks Kylen,

9 weeks for the basic electronic course leaves a LOT of weeks in depth stuff I would think.

4 year enlistment though............:rolleyes:

I didn't mean to insult military training. I just was commenting on my experience. And the two guys I worked with from the Army weren't the brightest bulbs to begin with. :)

Hmm, a virus, you say? Eh, I still like the magnetic lightning idea. I think with a bit more focus, you could also use it to fry the guy's cellphone who is talking in the middle of the movie. A handheld EMP gun.

Uh, there's a guy here who is telling me to stop typing and drop the subject. He looks kinda mean. I guess I stumbled on something I shouldn't have. :eek: :D

uh... now Outlaws um calm down - I guess I did cause it was rated 1 star so I thought - well this isn't 1 star it's at least an average discussion so I hit 3 stars but maybe I hit 2 stars...by mistake. It's the first thing I rated so I guess I goofed up.

Would 50 pushups help ? Ha Ha - at least it's not 1 star now ! :o

kylen

PS When I tried to put it up to 3 I got this thing:
"According to our records you have already voted on this thread. Changing votes is not allowed." - Gawd !

I just gave it a 5 star, but, I don't really think it deserves it unless you guys can design and build me a time travel machine so I can warp back to 1987 and pick up an MS-16 brand new in the box.

I know, I know...you guys are working on it but it's classified!:mad:

Thanks Ghost ! I owe you one.
Don't tell Outlaws - let's just keep this between you and me ! ;)
kylen

Back