E-16

Neekali

Hi

i am looking at purchasing an E-16, but i would like to sync this to my computer running cubase. i have looked at the 4030 sync unit and this seems quite a hassle to get all cables etc. i would like to use my MOTU 828mkII to generate SMPTE and stripe the 16th track and then feed the code back into the 828 via a 1/4" jack to jack, obviously using the E-16 as the master.

i believe this should work, but would like a second opinion before i buy.

so, any help would be appreciated.

Many Cheers :)

PS: Apologies for the un-descriptive title that was an accident. (first post)

Last edited:
It sounds like you're going straight from a timecode track to audio. Don't you need an MTC unit in between... audio in, MIDI out? That's how I work.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you're saying. That said, I've heard that Reaper can actually decode SMPTE timecode in software, so maybe Cubase can too.

What I suggest you do is perform a test run without the E16. Just run the MOTU's code generator output straight into the input of whatever's going to be decoding it. If that works, the E16 should work just the same. Apart from that, the only thing you may find you need to do is leave track 15 empty owing to crosstalk from the timecode on track 16.

Hi

Thanks for the response. As you may have guessed i aint synced anything in my set-up before. Here is a wee blurb about the 828's SMPTE features. i believe it shoule be able to de-code the SMPTE.

MOTU 828mkII SMPTE
The 828mkII is the first USB 2.0 audio interface to provide on-board SMPTE time code synchronization features. These features allow you to slave your 828mkII system to SMPTE time code without a synchronizer via a dedicated quarter-inch SMPTE input jack. A SMPTE out jack is also provided for time code generation.

The 828mkII provides a DSP-driven phase-lock engine with sophisticated filtering that provides fast lockup times and sub-frame accuracy.

The included MOTU SMPTE Console™ software provides a complete set of tools to generate SMPTE for striping, regenerating or slaving other devices to the computer. Like CueMix DSP, the synchronization features are cross-platform and compatible with all audio sequencer software that supports the ASIO2 sample-accurate sync protocol.

I will try what you have suggested also.

cheers

"Stripe" record on track 16 of the E-16 with a SMPTE / MTC signal from the MOTU IF it can send a valid SMPTE time code.

Then put the E-16 into play & adjust your MOTU to sync mode then the sequencer should follow the tape when play starts if put into MTC slave mode.

Think we've had this discussion on here before regarding MOTU interfaces & sync units but I'm not sure if the sync features on those units are for digital tape sync only?

An analog tape recorder can't usually be slaved to computer or SMPTE / MTC without a lot of effort

If so just buy an old fashioned SMPTE tape sync unit on EBay, JL Cooper Philip Rees, XRI 3000 ect.............!

That way your computer will slave to your reel to reel via a SMPTE tape sync unit

The MOTU is the tape sync unit...connect the output of your striped track on the E-16 to the SMPTE in on the MOTU, then set your DAW software to slave to incomming MTC.

The MOTU is the tape sync unit...connect the output of your striped track on the E-16 to the SMPTE in on the MOTU, then set your DAW software to slave to incomming MTC.

So that does work then without any extra gear, slaving the sequencer via the MOTU to R2R.

Most DAW / interfaces don't have SMPTE striping / generation facilties built into them

Back