Thread: DX-40-worth it?

Thanks

DX-40-worth it?

Sign in to disable this ad
    There are two DX40 units for sale on Ebay. I have been using my 38 without and donít seem to have any problems. Is it a great improvement to use dbx? How many of you record without ? What would be a fair price? Right now the bid is at $41.00. Thanks!

Thanks
    I used DBX when I had my 48. I liked it, the recordings were very quiet, some people do not like NR at all, for me, it could go either way. If you can pick them up cheap, I would try them out. BTW the model is DX-4D, many sellers on fleabay make that mistake as the "D" looks like a "0"

Thanks
    I can see it either way...if you are not having trouble with noise (i.e. the tape hiss doesn't bother you) then why bother? The dbx does imprint a signature sound along with reducing the noise. So...

Thanks
    I was wondering the same thing, as I purchased a 38 but won't be able to use it for a few months. It didn't come with the NR units.

Anyone have any ideas on the OP's other question? What would be a fair price?
    famous beagle

Thanks
    A couple of years ago they where going for 100.00 each. But last year I was able to get two for less than that.
    They are a nice option to have if you bounce tracks. Or do alot of quite stuff.
    Also remeber there wont be anymore slamming the needles to get tape compresion cause dbx does not like high levels.
    Getem try them out and if you dont like them sell them. You cant loose a bunch of money with them.
    Oh and dont forget you will need double the cords for hook up between your mixer and recorder.

Thanks
    Yup...that's 4 8-channel snakes to and from the deck......But I did score five 2m 8-channel RCA ~ RCA Hosa snakes on eBay a couple weeks ago for $35 shipped...

Anyway, I'd say an average for a pair of DX-4D's in fair condition would be $100 shipped +/- maybe $20. Crazy cheap for 8 channels of Type I noise reduction.

I've seen that eBay auction you are talking about. You've got dibs AFAIK, Instroverb...

Thanks
    Yes, absolutely worth it.

For many years I could afford only 1 DX4D for my 38. As I have said before, they were $500.00 per unit when new. I put things like acoustic guitar,vocals and such on those 4 tracks. Try it.

Thanks
    Hey I see that sale on those units comes with snakes That makes it an even better deal. I would be on those if I didnt already have 3 of them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herm View Post
    A couple of years ago they where going for 100.00 each. But last year I was able to get two for less than that.
    They are a nice option to have if you bounce tracks. Or do alot of quite stuff.
    Also remeber there wont be anymore slamming the needles to get tape compresion cause dbx does not like high levels.
    Getem try them out and if you dont like them sell them. You cant loose a bunch of money with them.
    Oh and dont forget you will need double the cords for hook up between your mixer and recorder.
    When you say "dbx does not like high levels," what do you mean exactly? What happens?
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Dbx wont take going into the red or peaking at high levels. It will mess up your signal. Tascam recommends that you keep your levels lower at around 7 and not going up to 0 or into the red. You get the benefit of no tape hiss but you loose getting to hit the tape hard in order to get that tape compression people like to use for bass and drums.

Thread Information