Dusting off my old TEAC A-3340S

Zippy1970

I've had this TEAC A-3340S for about 40 years now and it has been in storage for the past 25 years or so. I just found a box full of tapes with old recordings of mine and I would like to (try to) convert them to digital so I can store those old recordings on my PC. I remember that in the last few years that I used the deck, it didn't record so well anymore (sound was muffled) which was the reason I eventually stopped using the deck completely.

Before I go and try to play an old tape, what do I have to look out for? I'm pretty sure that if I don't clean/repair the TEAC first, chances are I'll destroy any tape I try to play on it. Also, was the muffled sound due to old/worn out heads (and if so, where can I still purchase new or refurbished heads)? Or was it the electronics? Any other things I have to look out for or do first before I try playing a tape?

Thank in advance for your advice. :)

Any electronic item that has been sitting unused and unpowered for 25 years is likely to have dried up electrolytic capacitors, dried up, cracked or broken rubber belts, scratchy pots and switches and possibly seized brake solenoids.

Some of those issues can be compounded by less then ideal storage conditions which exposed the unit to temperature extremes and excessive humidity which can literately rust out any metal parts. A seasoned technician might be required to gently power the unit back up with a variable power supply so as not to shock the power capacitors and let it run for a good long while to recondition the caps to accept a charge again stably. The pots and switches, if scratchy, can be cleaned with Deox-it, which is a trusted contact cleaner and belts can be bought from Teac directly or on ebay if they're sold out. Brake solenoids can be cleaned if the rubber gaskets have become gooey and the capstan flywheel bearing can be oiled. Also, a full cleaning of the heads, guides and lifter arms should be done as well as a head demag with the power off!

As for the previous distortion you were mentioning, it's doubtful that its because of the heads. More likely is the calibration setting are off and something is set too hot internally and is overloading the circuitry. Here too, an experienced technician can recalibrate the deck to hopefully address that.

Also, any older back coated Ampex 456 tapes you might have could be affected by sticky shed syndrome and may need to be baked to restore the binder glue back to a dry condition. We have "sticky" threads at the top of this forum to educate you more on that topic. Please read those.

Good luck! ;)

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
I am in the business of restoring these deck. Cleaning is the first level of maintenance but users do not have the ability usually to go further. If you want it to work right a Technician who works on these will be needed- he will find the bad caps and then make sure it works like you want it. A lack of maintenance is the reason it sounded dull and most of the time it is lack of cleaning. I am set up to be able to evaluate heads. I also have new heads and install them- they do not just snap in like some think.

Back