Downmixing with DBX on a 4 track?

jonatron

So, I've been using my Tascam 414MKII for a while now, and I love it, straight up. When I want to go beyond 4 tracks on it I usually downmix via my m-audio interface in stereo and back onto tape. Only recently, however, have I begun to explore DBX as a real option. So this begs the question: Assuming I record 4 tracks with DBX enabled and I want to downmix them via my computer, do I leave DBX on for the whole process, or would it be better to record to the computer with it off, then reenable it after I've sent the stereo mixdown back over to tape?

Assuming I record 4 tracks with DBX enabled and I want to downmix them via my computer, do I leave DBX on for the whole process, or would it be better to record to the computer with it off, then reenable it after I've sent the stereo mixdown back over to tape?

If you record with DBX enabled, you need to play it back with DBX enabled. The DBX decoder relies on getting the same recorded signal back in afterwards and it will not be able to track it properly if you mix it before decoding. No idea what that would sound like but it won't be good.

Back