Do I really need a Little Analog (outboard) ?

mactreouser

Hi,
Just curious! If BIG Scale doesn't affordable, shall I grab a Little Ones (like Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO) for Outboard Recording & Mixing? Good or Bad Idea?

Probably not a new Mackie : )

You might just buy some old tube amps for your 2-buss at $50 to $100 a pair. Lots of options.

The avg dude is stuck with the converters and op-amps on the input and output.

Run 2-buss out of the interface into the 12ax7, or, ef86 inputs. Take the dual MONO line level outputs of the preamps back into your main interface inputs for recording. Or, add tape to the path.
4408363138_035755cb72_z.jpg

Hi,
Just curious! If BIG Scale doesn't affordable, shall I grab a Little Ones (like Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO) for Outboard Recording & Mixing? Good or Bad Idea?

It all depends on what you have in mind to do with it.

If you have an interface, you may not need a mixer. A mixer would be of use if you had limited channels on the interface and you wanted to combine a number of inputs to cope with that limitation. If the interface is equipped with the number you are likely to use, then don't worry about mixer.

For mixing, depending on the mixer, you may be able to use it to control the DAW on your computer. However, it is probably easier to mix within the box.

Or you can take the outputs of your interface, feed them into the mixer, do mixing here, then go back into the DAW. But that's a lot of fiddling around for not much benefit.

Generally speaking, you should try to avoid unnecessary complications, because each introduced complication is another source of potential problems. If you want to focus on music, then minimize the hazards.

You just need something with in and out jacks : )

The VLZ will work, but try to get a handle on the types of distortions you can get for your rubles

However, when we were introduced to CD, many of us reached for the old tube gear to chew it up and spit it out. Maybe, it doesn't need to be any type of analog. I have non-oversampling (NOS) converters that sound different.

Any of that old stuff can insert into your mixer channels, but it doesn't mean it will sound good : )

It all depends on what you have in mind to do with it.

If you have an interface, you may not need a mixer. A mixer would be of use if you had limited channels on the interface and you wanted to combine a number of inputs to cope with that limitation. If the interface is equipped with the number you are likely to use, then don't worry about mixer.

For mixing, depending on the mixer, you may be able to use it to control the DAW on your computer. However, it is probably easier to mix within the box.

Or you can take the outputs of your interface, feed them into the mixer, do mixing here, then go back into the DAW. But that's a lot of fiddling around for not much benefit.

Generally speaking, you should try to avoid unnecessary complications, because each introduced complication is another source of potential problems. If you want to focus on music, then minimize the hazards.
Appreciate! I really like your points of view! I love to work in the box, in fact, just curious those who Out then In again from the outboard, sound better? haha.

You just need something with in and out jacks : )

The VLZ will work, but try to get a handle on the types of distortions you can get for your rubles

However, when we were introduced to CD, many of us reached for the old tube gear to chew it up and spit it out. Maybe, it doesn't need to be any type of analog. I have non-oversampling (NOS) converters that sound different.

Any of that old stuff can insert into your mixer channels, but it doesn't mean it will sound good : )
Thanks. That's right, perhaps it's cool, but not the point to make things right, it's all about the taste and technics.

.."Thanks. That's right, perhaps it's cool, but not the point to make things right, it's all about the taste and technics".

No, it is about Sprague Black Beauties.

If it is for curiosity sake, don't bother.

Something like a small Mackie will likely sound worse than in the box. The analog mixers that can benefit your sound are the really expensive ones.

Also, if you want to do everything in analog, you will need all the outboard effects processors and compressors and all the cabling to hook it all up. It gets really expensive and time consuming very quickly. Using low end equipment will likely make your mixes sound worse than if you stay in the box.

Also, the low end Mackies don't have enough eq. Just hi shelf at 12k, low shelf at 80hz and kids at 2k... that's it.

for a different take then the poster above. Check out gabe roths 'shitty is pretty' essay. You don't need to spend lots to have a great analog setup. Stay away from Mackie though. Any mixer (and gear in general) made before the 90s is more what you're after.

Back to 2-buss. Mixing will work, but why spend the money ?

CD track into realtek as AUX (my A.D.C. CD)input on my Sony STR V5 and randomly switched to TAPE 1 passing AUX through $25 preamps. They're worth $50 to me. Level close matched to vocal before recording test file.. \The WAV is better than the MP3, but use ur best fones.

I'm not saying this is quality, but about how the soundstage is presented

Attachments

• akaiPre_exp1.mp3
    6.3 MB · Views: 3
Garww's post assumes the OP is after an analog sound, instead of the feel of mixing on a hardware console.

That is another thing to ask yourself: What are you trying to accomplish by going analog? The sound of it, or the experience of it.

Well, a lot of people assume it is the "console". Or. it is the "TAPE". Or, it is the "preamp", etc.. Don't we see this often enough. Didn't some dude think he needed a m-106 a couple months ago ?

Jolie (Jo(l)y) was (I guess) invited to do q&a an his MIC mods back on the lost BBS. When tube MICs came up, some one pointed out that the tube can be anywhere. Well, a lot of the parts CAN be anywhere.

I'm not a BIG mixing guy, by any stretch. I can do my 8-channels, or groups, etc, but I would just as soon be in Mixbus. I think Harrison did a good job, though the Windows versions have been iffy.

For me, if I had room and more $$$, I wouldn't mind some channels with a decent EQ. Say you do synth stuff and you want a signature sound for the AIR. What is it about one console that makes it a goto over other methods ?

haha I'm usually looking at 2-buss plugs, anyway, and, my first own money plug(after a synth plug) was the S-well 1974 for the stereo out

What I hope is my last synth arrived a couple hours ago, and I will eventually get around to mixing up to 15 noise makers as a mixed tune, rather than my live mixes. I may spring for a used ADA8000, but I plan to make 2-3 boxes into one voice/instrument( a couple times) and having only the main noises as stereo instruments working as needed. Ya, mixing 10 channels going out to my sum mixer and 2-track IS on the list, but I can do DAW to my little rack and tubes and be happy without much fuss.

for a different take then the poster above. Check out gabe roths 'shitty is pretty' essay. You don't need to spend lots to have a great analog setup. Stay away from Mackie though. Any mixer (and gear in general) made before the 90s is more what you're after.

Yeah...you can use a lot of cheap gear...but Gabe Roth's studio and Daptone Records actually have some decent stuff too.
He may talk about "Radio Shack mics"...but don't be fooled by that. :D
Here's the gear list from an article in SoS magazine from back in 2010...I'm sure there's been some gear added since then.

Daptone's Full Gear List (Back in 2010)

Tape Machines:
Ampex 440-B 8 Track 1"
Ampex 440-B 2 Track 1/4"

Equalizers:
2 x Tube-tech Program EQ's
2 x Tube-tech Midrange EQ's
2 x Filtek EQ's
Altec Passive EQ (borrowed)

Mics:
Shure SM57's, 58's
Assorted Radio Shack mics
Shure, RCA, Rezlo, and AKG Ribbons
EV mics

Monitors:
JBL and Sentry monitors

Console:
Trident 65

Reverb:
Orban 111B Spring units
Stocktronics plate

Comps:
Tube-tech LCA-2B (Stereo)
2 x dbx 160's
2 x Purple MC 1177's
Collins Stereo Limiting Amplifier

Preamps:
4 x Purple Biz Pre's
Altec Summing mixer (borrowed)

That is another thing to ask yourself: What are you trying to accomplish by going analog? The sound of it, or the experience of it.

Right.

if someone just wants to play around with an analog mixer and some basic outboard, and/or an old 4-track tape deck or what have you...that's fine...
...but if they are doing it to get some "analog sound" to their otherwise ITB mixes...I would recommend just buying a few more decent plugins, because it will take a bit more hardware to actually get a good analog sound that can't be improved on with just some plugins.

Radio Shack did have some good stuff. My first band MIC was a monster ball MIC from RS - 1974, maybe. Made in Japan, of course : )

I like to have some RS around even it its not so hot - currently a stereo electret. One could label one plug Hillary and one plug Donald and that way you would only use one element ! Instead of thinking you have to plug them both in

Yeah...you can use a lot of cheap gear...but Gabe Roth's studio and Daptone Records actually have some decent stuff too.
He may talk about "Radio Shack mics"...but don't be fooled by that. :D
Here's the gear list from an article in SoS magazine from back in 2010...I'm sure there's been some gear added since then.

haha yeah this is true to an extent. The trident isn't a particularly coveted console though. If he didn't have the tube tech stuff and the plate his studio would be pretty basic. When he wrote that article he didn't have the gear and was doing the Daktaris etc... though those record are much rougher than his more recent work, they still sound badass!

Well...with Daptone, it's more than the studio. It's the players and the somewhat singular music style they produce, and the fact that they're also a record company...so when you put all that together, you can maybe get away with Radio Shack mic here and there, and still end up with something that is good.

And I take issue with the Trident not being a particularly coveted console. ;)
I love my Trident 24 London...especially how it sounds after I overhauled it...and I know if I put up for sale, it would go in a heartbeat.
Yeah, OK...it's not a Neve or SSL or API...but it's well suited for more classic Rock/Pop tones, and I can see how it would also work well for that classic Funk/Soul sound.

Back