Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I really need a Little Analog (outboard) ?

Thanks

Do I really need a Little Analog (outboard) ?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,
    Just curious! If BIG Scale doesn't affordable, shall I grab a Little Ones (like Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO) for Outboard Recording & Mixing? Good or Bad Idea?

Thanks
    All depends on your needs

Thanks
    Probably not a new Mackie : )

You might just buy some old tube amps for your 2-buss at $50 to $100 a pair. Lots of options.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    All depends on your needs
    Say, I wish to give it a try?

Quote Originally Posted by garww View Post
    Probably not a new Mackie : )

You might just buy some old tube amps for your 2-buss at $50 to $100 a pair. Lots of options.
    Oh... sound interesting. Mind to give me some more details on how to set it up?

Thanks
    The avg dude is stuck with the converters and op-amps on the input and output.

Run 2-buss out of the interface into the 12ax7, or, ef86 inputs. Take the dual MONO line level outputs of the preamps back into your main interface inputs for recording. Or, add tape to the path.

Thanks
    Wow... so classic?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mactreouser View Post
    Hi,
    Just curious! If BIG Scale doesn't affordable, shall I grab a Little Ones (like Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO) for Outboard Recording & Mixing? Good or Bad Idea?
    It all depends on what you have in mind to do with it.

If you have an interface, you may not need a mixer. A mixer would be of use if you had limited channels on the interface and you wanted to combine a number of inputs to cope with that limitation. If the interface is equipped with the number you are likely to use, then don't worry about mixer.

For mixing, depending on the mixer, you may be able to use it to control the DAW on your computer. However, it is probably easier to mix within the box.

Or you can take the outputs of your interface, feed them into the mixer, do mixing here, then go back into the DAW. But that's a lot of fiddling around for not much benefit.

Generally speaking, you should try to avoid unnecessary complications, because each introduced complication is another source of potential problems. If you want to focus on music, then minimize the hazards.

Thanks
    You just need something with in and out jacks : )

The VLZ will work, but try to get a handle on the types of distortions you can get for your rubles

However, when we were introduced to CD, many of us reached for the old tube gear to chew it up and spit it out. Maybe, it doesn't need to be any type of analog. I have non-oversampling (NOS) converters that sound different.

Any of that old stuff can insert into your mixer channels, but it doesn't mean it will sound good : )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    It all depends on what you have in mind to do with it.

If you have an interface, you may not need a mixer. A mixer would be of use if you had limited channels on the interface and you wanted to combine a number of inputs to cope with that limitation. If the interface is equipped with the number you are likely to use, then don't worry about mixer.

For mixing, depending on the mixer, you may be able to use it to control the DAW on your computer. However, it is probably easier to mix within the box.

Or you can take the outputs of your interface, feed them into the mixer, do mixing here, then go back into the DAW. But that's a lot of fiddling around for not much benefit.

Generally speaking, you should try to avoid unnecessary complications, because each introduced complication is another source of potential problems. If you want to focus on music, then minimize the hazards.
    Appreciate! I really like your points of view! I love to work in the box, in fact, just curious those who Out then In again from the outboard, sound better? haha.

Quote Originally Posted by garww View Post
    You just need something with in and out jacks : )

The VLZ will work, but try to get a handle on the types of distortions you can get for your rubles

However, when we were introduced to CD, many of us reached for the old tube gear to chew it up and spit it out. Maybe, it doesn't need to be any type of analog. I have non-oversampling (NOS) converters that sound different.

Any of that old stuff can insert into your mixer channels, but it doesn't mean it will sound good : )
    Thanks. That's right, perhaps it's cool, but not the point to make things right, it's all about the taste and technics.

Thanks
    .."Thanks. That's right, perhaps it's cool, but not the point to make things right, it's all about the taste and technics".

No, it is about Sprague Black Beauties.

Thread Information