direct recording vs. multitracking

frownbrown

I have a fostex x-77, and I am recording and playing all of the instruments on my current project.

In my manual, it says that when recording instruments separately, you should use the left/right record function (and pan the corresponding track to either left or right). Is any sound lost by recording this way? Keep in mind that I'm only recording one instrument at a time.

Is it better to record directly with no panning (without using the left/right record function)?

Thanks for you help!

Clarification

Hello! Let me see if I understand you correctly, then possibly I can help.

First, you have an X-77. Is that a 4-track? Second, you're recording all the instruments yourself. What instruments are you planning to record? By the way, what style of music is it? If you're recording more than two instruments, you'll most likely need to record each one on a separate track.

When you're in record mode, all the pan control does is send signals to different tracks. Turning the pan control to the left will send your input signal to an odd-numbered track (1 & 3); turning it right will send your signal to an even-numbered track (2 & 4).

If you're only recording two different things - say, a guitar and a keyboard, you COULD record them both in stereo (2 tracks for each). You'd have to run a stereo pair of cords from your keyboard into two inputs on your 4-track. These should be panned full left and full right for recording. Same for the guitar: you could use two mics on an acoustic, or you could go straight out of a stereo effects unit.

Try this and see if you get results that you're happy with.

Bruce Ray

While recording, keep the pan pots dead center...it is at the mixdown stage that you will do panning.....

Back