direct box

P

Peck

This probably doesn't technically belong here, but I value the opinions more here in the analog forum. So.... could anyone recommend a good direct box for recording bass?

I was at guitar center yesterday and they had a couple of crappy looking ones, and a decent looking dbx. I imagine the dbx would be a fine one to use, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better option (possibly used) on Ebay or something. Thanks.

This probably doesn't technically belong here, but I value the opinions more here in the analog forum. So.... could anyone recommend a good direct box for recording bass?

I was at guitar center yesterday and they had a couple of crappy looking ones, and a decent looking dbx. I imagine the dbx would be a fine one to use, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better option (possibly used) on Ebay or something. Thanks.

Sansamp BDDI is great, I use mine all the time...

cool. Thanks man. That seems to be more of what I am looking for.

so those are comparable in price... $200 on ebay it looks like. Good deal.

Peck, you talking about the Radial JDI?

If so, I recommend getting it from somewhere like Full Compass or Sweetwater if the price is comparable (which it is if you're saying its $200 on eBay)...Sweetwater has them for $199 free ship.

We've used one for years and it has been rock solid whereas the lesser varieties have died or gotten busted up. The build and sound quality is top-notch.

Yeah, sweetbeats, they both look like good recommendations.. and to be honest, they would probably both be fine for my recordings I imagine.

I was originally responding to the first response, but I guess you responded at the same time I did...

So.. free shipping is nice vs. paying for it on Ebay... maybe some of them on Ebay are free shipping... I don't know. But thanks for the resources... I buy all of my gear on Ebay usually. I just like live on the site... it's sad. Just kidding.

oh and I'm kind of jealous that you have that massive 440-8. That thing is really cool.

Cool, but a huge project...figuratively and literally.

Other things to do with a 440-8:

• Use it as a battering ram
  • Use it in your own home production version of 2001 Space Odyssey
  • Use it to slice vegetables (using the fan on the back of the capstan motor...watch those fingers!!)
  • Art deco bar seating...careful where you sit
  • Hook a belt up to a reel clamper and drive your stationary farm implements

haha, that's funny. No shit. Those things are beasts of a machine. I've got a two track 440b which I just posted about... and it seems like a huge project.

So I know the 8 track version can probably feel overwhelming at times. It looks like you're doing a great job with it though. I guess once you have it squared away, it will be amazing to record on.

John Frusciante recorded his "curtains" acoustic album on one of those. And that album sounds awesome. Of course he probably has some guy to do all the grunt work with repairing it! Good luck with it.

No love for the Countryman type DT85 FET? Built like a tank, runs off of 48V phantom or batteries, and sounds great (I think). $150 new if ya shop around. If your into DIY, check out the Jensen web site for schematics/part list to roll your own.

Little Labs Red Eye, direct with some EQ & a really good compressor & just add some slight real amp sound, preferably tube, even from a guitar amp!!!!

And some Bartolini Jazz Bass pickups!!!!!!!! Flatwound / Halfwound strings, after all you don't want to sound like a guitar player playing bass????? Like I used to at one time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back