Digital efx with analog gear

jj. wish i was your age again ..... you're still a youngster. I am 56 and just started dabbling with all this stuff about a year or so ago to :) Been a musician most of my life but new to recording. And trying to read the posts here and my posts and replies makes my head spin :o

I'm just starting to learn how to play the guitar and bass, on top of the recording and gear addiction.:eek::p

Hello everyone. I am currently using " all " analog gear : Teac A-3340S r2r, Teac Model 3 and 5 sound boards, AN-300 Dolby noise unit, etc. I was wondering if I could use a Digital Effects unit with this setup without hurting anything.

Digital is very good for some things. Reverb is one of them. I’ve used digital reverberation of one kind or another since mid-80’s. I’ll use digital echo and delay effects as well, but have a slight preference for analog echo and chorusing.

When creating ambiance, reverb and delay shadow the dry sound so you don’t lose any analog goodness. It’s best to use an effect send from a console and blend the return with the original analog source.

On the other hand I won’t use digital for things like compression and EQ because this involves A/D/A conversion of the analog source, which defeats the purpose of an analog signal chain.

Digital is generally great for spatial effects… some you can’t get with analog devices.

:)

Digital is very good for some things. Reverb is one of them. I’ve used digital reverberation of one kind or another since mid-80’s. I’ll use digital echo and delay effects as well, but have a slight preference for analog echo and chorusing.

When creating ambiance, reverb and delay shadow the dry sound so you don’t lose any analog goodness. It’s best to use an effect send from a console and blend the return with the original analog source.

On the other hand I won’t use digital for things like compression and EQ because this involves A/D/A conversion of the analog source, which defeats the purpose of an analog signal chain.

Digital is generally great for spatial effects… some you can’t get with analog devices.

:)

Thx Beck. Appreciate the help. I really wanted to keep everything analog but could find any analog efx units so bought this digi unit before I even knew if you could use digi with analog. Your answer helped alot. Thx to everyone who helped me with this simple but hard question for a newbie like me :o .

Back