Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Difficulty converting cassette to digital with audacity.

Thanks

Difficulty converting cassette to digital with audacity.

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have the retro cassette to mp3 converter. I am recording/converting with audacity ,and getting only one healthy audacity wav ,and one unhealthy straight line wave underneath. You are supposed to get the two healthy waves. When I first started using this tape to digital converter, I got the two healthy waves. The bad wave results in the volume of the recording be to low. It is like half the recording volume is being cut off while recording.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 908 Posts
    Hi,

On the problem track is the volume low or is there just no signal at all?

Check the signal path, or paths, from start to end in order and see where it falls down.

Is the tape recording stereo? If no, that's the reason.
    You'd be better recording it to a mono track and only using the left channel output from your cassette deck/converter/etc.

No good?
    Does the converter thing have two analog inputs, and the tape deck two analog outputs?
    If so, swap them. Is your recording now exactly as it was before, or have the good and bad sides swapped round in your audacity?
    If the former, only one side of your input path is working. (interface, audacity, computer).
    If the latter, only one side of your output path is working. (Cassette/cable/player/converter).

If you track it to the computer side, Is your audacity track set to correct from the appropriate input numbers?

What make/model is this mp3 converter?

Hope something there is useful.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Hi,

On the problem track is the volume low or is there just no signal at all?

Check the signal path, or paths, from start to end in order and see where it falls down.

Is the tape recording stereo? If no, that's the reason.
    You'd be better recording it to a mono track and only using the left channel output from your cassette deck/converter/etc.

No good?
    Does the converter thing have two analog inputs, and the tape deck two analog outputs?
    If so, swap them. Is your recording now exactly as it was before, or have the good and bad sides swapped round in your audacity?
    If the former, only one side of your input path is working. (interface, audacity, computer).
    If the latter, only one side of your output path is working. (Cassette/cable/player/converter).

If you track it to the computer side, Is your audacity track set to correct from the appropriate input numbers?

What make/model is this mp3 converter?

Hope something there is useful.

I assume the tape play/converter is recording in stereo, but with half way recording, the end result reminds you of mono, and I think the problem track is not recording. The tape player converter is usb connection. I believe the problem is more with the tape player than audacity. They are known to be junk. I have to look more into what you have said.

---------- Update ----------

I have this.

https://www.amazon.com/Cassette-Conv...ter+to+digital

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 908 Posts
    Ok,
    Being usb ruins part of the troubleshooting.

Check the cassette in another deck, or test the setup with another tape.
    Basically change any one thing and monitor the results. As long as you change one thing only, you can learn something conclusive from it.

Quote Originally Posted by grh View Post
    Ah good...It has a headphone output.
    Use that to prove the tape is fine.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    " When I first started using this tape to digital converter, I got the two healthy waves. The bad wave results in the volume of the recording be to low. It is like half the recording volume is being cut off while recording".

I'd want to suspect dirty heads

Thanks
    Dirty heads, or a fault connection from the player's outputs

Thanks
    Maybe my new tape player/converter is defective? All my tapes are fine.

Thanks
    It could be, but it is not uncommon to discover dirty heads and wonder how that happened. A cheaper mechanism may have a tendency to skew pressure over one side of the stereo head

Thanks
    I don't say this to be mean or elitist, but that looks like a piece of junk to me. At $20 or so if you managed to get three or four tapes digitized you got your money's worth. I do digitization of analog tapes so I know it takes a substantially greater investment in gear and knowledge to do it right. USB tape decks, turntables etc. tend to be poor substitutes.

Thanks
    ya, my last eBait cassette was $19.99 - Luxman DBX k-106, and the other three, here, were all in that range. Though there is no USB, etc., you'll get a much better transfer just going into the MIC jack. That includes a 3-head Sony tc k-555, but even my old Aiwa walkman can do pretty good for dubbing.

I had also picked up a Panasonic shelf system for $25-ish - with dual cassette, cd changer, etc. that I used to dub some Classical cassettes I made for my Mom in the early '80s. They are good recordings off CD and I've had no real reason to re-digitize them for mp3 usage.

I doubt anyone has made more cassette than Matsushita, so get something name brand anyway. So happens my first stereo home cassette deck was Technics by Panasonic. They were just spinning off the Technics name at the time

Thread Information