Difference between Quantegy 456 and 457 tapes?

regebro

Insane Genious!
I recently bought a Fostex A-8.
Everybody seems to think that Quantegy Tapes are the best, but the votes go equally between the 456 and 457 tapes.

What should I use for the Fostex? Whats the difference?

After a few tries of searching on the web, I found one answer:

The 457 is 1 mil thick, but the 456 1.5 mils.
This means that the 457 tapes are 1800' but the 456 are 1200'.

Does it have any other effects, what is the drawback?

AAAaahhh.. BUT... 499 is even thicker, less print through, but if you are using the machine a lot, it will wear it out quicker. ;) arse.

499 and 456 tapes are the same thickness. 499 has a higher energy coating on it thus the machine will most likely need recalibrating. You can, however, push the tape harder (higher recording levels) without seriously distorting, and that lovely warm saturation come through beautifully.

Oh my! Nothings easy is it?

Well, at my current setup the print through probably isn't a problem, since the mixer and effects just doesn't have nearly the kind of quality to really use the full dynamics of the A-8, and the extra soundquality of the 499 tapes is WAY beyond what I can utilize... :p

But I'll probably go for the 456 tapes, just because they have shorter running time.
Less songs per tape = less hassle. :)

And I guess they wouldn't break as easily?

You can minimise the effects of print-thru by keeping the tape away from extremes in temperature and humidity. Most effective in reducing the APPARENT print-through is the technique of storing tapes in 'tales out' configuration. This means, at the end of the session, fast forward instead of rewind your tape on to the reel. This is done to make the print through occur after the start of the recorded piece. Actually, to hear some print through, get a copy of Mariah Carey's song: "Now that I know". It can be heard between the end of the piano intro, and the start of the more racey dance segment. As far as breaking goes, the tinner tape will have a lower yield and breakage figure, but compared to old acetate and earlier polyester, it's as strong as the proverbial oxe. Just make sure the brakes don't snatch at the reel tables and you should be OK.

Back