Demagnetizor thoughts?

tf5_bassist

The LouDogg
Alright... The studio I work at has a '89 era TAC Scorpion 16-channel board running through to an Otari MX5050 MKIII 8-track. We're looking for a head demagnetizer, and i want to get a really nice one for a budget of under $100 (used is no big deal), and I *really* can't find any reviews on any demags in particular. Anyone have any ideas of which are better than others (if that's the case), and also that will work on other reel-to-reel styles (smaller four-tracks, etc etc). Any ideas would be *well* appreciated. Thanks a bunch guys!

A demagger is just a thingy that runs the 100/220V through a coil to make a string fluctuating magnetic field. It's more or less trivial, and finding reviews of them would therefore be hard, because they are all pretty much equal. The fact that in 99% of the cases you wouldn't notice if you forgot to plug it in is another sure killer for any reviews.

"It has a button. It didn't burn up. The tape deck still seems to be working. So.... I GUESS it's a good demagger". :-)

I bought one over the internet for like $30 or so. No sweat.

regebro said:
"It has a button. It didn't burn up. The tape deck still seems to be working. So.... I GUESS it's a good demagger". :-)

Hahahaha... Okay then. So i can basically go with any reel demagger. Goooood stuff, that's what i was looking for. Thanks!

I got me a Deemag 7k...it doubles as a cancer therapy device!
If I turn it off too close to my head I forget where I am!

jake-owa said:
I got me a Deemag 7k...it doubles as a cancer therapy device!
If I turn it off too close to my head I forget where I am!

LOL Shit... maybe i can use it as a temporary pot alleviate until i find a job...

I just bought this one on ebay... Should work for a 1/2" Otari 8-track lol

Ohno man...not that one...those are whimpy. Didn't you see the big review in MIX july 1977?

I thought everyone read that.

Just kidding,
obviously...

jake-owa said:
Ohno man...not that one...those are whimpy. Didn't you see the big review in MIX july 1977?

I thought everyone read that.

Just kidding,
obviously...

Yeah, I know, I should've read it... Not like i can use being inconcieved at the time as an excuse... wait... i can.

:D

There are some cheap demags that were sold in hifi shops for consumer tapedecks. They do more harm than good.

Annis is the way to go, you can even bulk erase tape with it.

So... is the one that i bought going to work? That's my question. 'cause if so, i *really* would've appreciated that before i shelled out the cash for it, instead of the "oh, it doesn't matter" response i got.

Han said:
There are some cheap demags that were sold in hifi shops for consumer tapedecks. They do more harm than good.

Yes, I understood that. What I would like to know what the differences are, and how you tell them apart from something pro.

Here's what you need

TWO DEMAGNETIZERS THAT WILL GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT:

Han-D-Mag (will work with 1/4" and up)
http://blevinsaudioexchange.com/handmag.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2552212666&category=1602

TEAC E-3 (will work with cassette and up)
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--TASE3

Demagnetizers use alternating magnetic fields to create a neutral state on the tape path and heads. The demagnetizer must be strong enough to overcome the magnetized tape head and other metal in the tape path. The above are two of the best.

Cheepy models like those once made by Pickwick and sold by Radio Shack or the Sony HE-4 are relatively light in weight and too weak to neutralize the magnetic charge on the metal being treated.

MODELS TO AVOID:

Sony Head Demagnetizer HE-4
Nakamichi Head Demagnetizer DM-10
Radios Shack models 44-211 and 44-207
MCM Tape Head Demagnetizer Model 720880

…or anything about the size and weight of a pencil-style soldering iron.

These are probably ok for cassette and 1/4" open reel, but anything 1/2" and above needs the pro-level stuff.

Tim
:cool:

Last edited:
Back