Demag question

Talldog

Pain in the ass
I store my tape above my deck (see pic). Its about 3 ft away from the heads. Too close to use my Handy Mag? Now if there was only a Denag:D:D....

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 56
I keep all my Demags far away in another room, away from any
magnetic tape. Then again,...there's tape practically in every room!:D

"do not remove power" distance is best I could find...

"Before demagnetization, remove any tape from the machine and turn the power off. Power-up the demagnetizer away from the machine, and do not remove power until the device is at least three feet from the machine. (I am being overly cautious, and I fully understand the inverse-square law.) "

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_analog_tape_part_2/

Quantegy457stashsmall.jpg

Hey Talldog,

That's a good looking MX-70 you have there :) Just a quick question: Where is your "studio" located? Is it in a room in your home?

My question was not really where can I store my demagger thingy but can I use it that close to the tape. Sorry for the confusion.

Lo Fi, My studio is on the third floor of my house. Two rooms, two closets and a hallway. One room is control room, the other is the tracking room, one closet for isolation and one for the deck and tape.

No worries, your question was clear. I just happened to have a picture of my han-d-mag and my tapes so I included it.

When using the demagnetizer however, the mix magazine quote mentioned a three foot distance, at least for power up and down.
M

Studies have shown that the flux generated by a powered demag unit like the Han-D-Mag doesn't start effecting the heads until about 6" away...that 3' rule-of-thumb definitely has a margin of error on it.

I'm pretty comfortable saying that you should be fine with where your tapes are at.

I will also say that if it was me, I'd move the tapes. I'm funny that way...when my 58 was having major troubles (thanks to me) and stuff was cooking, I choose to let it keep cooking so I could tell where the smoke was coming from rather than stop and begin scoping PS rails...but I'll do things like move the tapes way beyond the accepted margin of error. Go figure...freaking "ignoramous"...:laughings:

Shred, Yeah its a beauty. Totally rebuilt and re capped all cards (new relays), Power supply, mother board, bias card, tensioner by Soren Withrop in Chicago. Most expensive MX70 EVER. Luckily I got it AND all the brand new 499 tape above it for $400.

Shred, Yeah its a beauty. Totally rebuilt and re capped all cards (new relays), Power supply, mother board, bias card, tensioner by Soren Withrop in Chicago. Most expensive MX70 EVER. Luckily I got it AND all the brand new 499 tape above it for $400.

That was beyond a "steal deal"!!!!!:D

Nice deck brother! Nice score too!

Back