Debating on selling my Tascam 388 and I'm torn...

I sold my 488 mkII years ago. Recently, I wanted to make better mixes of the 10 tapes I filled so I had to buy one just so I could transfer all of the tracks to my computer. So, I would suggest that if you copy your multitracks to your computer for future mixing, sell it. No need to mess with tape his anymore.

So, did you ever decide to sell your 388? I’m just purchasing one this weekend, and I totally understood a lot of what you and others here are saying about gear. I struggle with that as well. I sell stuff all the time, albeit not as vintage or rare as these units but then I regret it and buy it back again. I’m on my 3rd Roland GAIA, 2nd OP-1, 3rd CZ-1000, 2nd Korg SV-1 right now!!
This time around, I feel like I’m building the studio to take me from here at 50yrs old to whenever I can’t play anymore. I miss my old analog days working at a recording studio, recording to 2” tape on a 24 track board, mixing down to 2-track, sending it off to gold master and get CDs made (back in the 90s before protools was available to us). It’s how I was trained and how my brain works for recording.
I mean, I have a Zoom L20 that is awesome as recorder and interface and I also use Logic Pro on my iMac to great effect, but nothing makes me feel as good as the warm glow from the VU meters during a late night session!

Back