"dead channel" issue Tascam 488 MKii need some help

BluesPills

Hello, I am a newbie when it comes to analog machines. I just bought a Tascam 488 mkii, the problem is the channel two seems to be dead or atleast almost dead for both the incoming signal, and playback.

when i plug a mic in if i have all the levels cranked to maximum, its barely audible... but every other channel is fine

and then when I play back a tape which has something recorded on track two, once again its still there but you can't hear it unless you turn everything else all the way down, and channel two is blasting, and then still its extremely quiet..

any ideas on where to begin to find the problem will be much appreciated, i live no where close to any electronics repair or anything so I am going to need some help in the right direction.

Since there is trouble both when monitoring an input source as well as playback I'd suspect either a bad cap or bad opamp on that strip. If you plug a mic in can you plug an insert cable into the insert jack on channel #2 and then plug the send cable into the input of another mixer or monitoring unit and see if you can hear anything?

Can you put a cassette in with stereo recording on both sides and hear anything that way? Just trying to narrow down what amp stage is the problem and whether or not the playback amp is bad or if the record amp us bad or both in addition to the problem with the input amp.

Thanks Sweetbeats,
I tried plugging it into another mixer like you said, and still it was the same. if full blast, you could barely hear something..
Could you offer any advice on how to locate the caps or opamps? What do they look like? I am no expert on electronics but my uncle is, so if we know where to start I think he can help me with replacing the cap or opamp.

Thanks Sweetbeats,
I tried plugging it into another mixer like you said, and still it was the same. if full blast, you could barely hear something..
Could you offer any advice on how to locate the caps or opamps? What do they look like? I am no expert on electronics but my uncle is, so if we know where to start I think he can help me with replacing the cap or opamp.

Okay so actually I went and messed around with it some more, the first time i sent a cable from the effect send to the PA and nothing..

this time i plugged a mic into the on channel 2, and ran a cable from the insert 2 jack on the front, into the PA.. this time you could here it through the PA speakers.
i dont know if this helps or not..

Back