dbx 119 Story...

Post some links, love to hear a/b some before and after examples.

I, too, would like to hear what this thing does. The descriptions of it's use in this thread don't really make much sense (and some seem outright impossible unless I misunderstood what it's supposed to do), but it is kinda cool looking....and I'm always interested to hear new things. We got lots o' pics - let's hear the thing already!

I, too, would like to hear what this thing does. The descriptions of it's use in this thread don't really make much sense (and some seem outright impossible unless I misunderstood what it's supposed to do), but it is kinda cool looking....and I'm always interested to hear new things. We got lots o' pics - let's hear the thing already!

I'm in the middle of other projects at the moment, and don't live where the studio is. I'll get something together at some point soon though.

It can be used as a compressor in a studio setting.You can really squash the heck out of a signal with it. the only thing is it doesn't have a make up gain. I use mine when tracking acoustic guitar and sometime vocals.
Here it is on the acoustic guitar track of this song I recorded....I find it thickened up and coloured the sound slightly.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...analog-recordings-here-289797/83/#post4179767

This interests me. I have a dbx 118.

How can I use it for noise reduction for my mixes to the Tascam 42?

I would not recommend using one of these for NR with something that sounds as good as the Tascam 42. I would not use Type II dbx either. If you want to use dbx I highly recommend the dbx 150X Type I unit. Type I is the professional standard for open-reel machines and the 150X is easily the best one available and at a low cost of around $50.00, more or less. It simultaneously encodes and decodes 2 channels of audio so you can hear the results in real time off the repro head.

Second problem is I'm not sure the dbx 118 does NR, although the 117 and 119 can.

Reference the manuals below. (Maybe follow the instructions for the 117 with your 118 ?)

dbx 118
AK Database PDF Gallery - DBX/DBX Model 118 Instruction Manual

dbx 117/119
http://vintagedbx.free.fr/owner manual/117-119.pdf

(Sorry for the diversion, Cory. As you were with the cool project)

Cool, another sweetbeats gear exposé!

Found a nice link to a german site with modding of dbx 117 and 118 with before and after sound files.
one of the models sound links is labeled in German, but you'll find it. Link to 117 page is at very bottom right.

DBX 118 compressor expander

Oh cool...I'll have to check those out.

My limited and subjective experience with the 119 so far (and I haven't been able to track A/B files and post due to limitations in access the cabling and other equipment) is that it offers a pretty wide range of effect on the signal. It can really squash it, or it can be very transparent, but I can't tell how much effect it is having on the dynamic range without all the cabling I need to be able to A/B it and externally account for makeup gain.

I will say that the fidelity of the signal coming out of the 119 is excellent...I don't know if that is normal or if my mods are contributing, but it sounds nice.

This thing looks sort of similar to a 4-channel version I used to have (dBx-154) that I used with my Teac 3340-S 4-track. (Mine had no controls except power and 4 encode/decode/bypass switches. It did wonders on individual tracks, but don't try running a mix through it - - the bass / kick triggers the companders big time and gives you hellish volume pumping.

I used to run a 118 on the drum stems to crush them- big fat snares- and still use a DBX 128 on my Tascam 42. The 117/118/119 used to be dirt cheap on Ebay, but the price has risen quite a bit recently. Some are buying them, gutting the VCA modules and selling them on Ebay.

I used to run a 118 on the drum stems to crush them- big fat snares- and still use a DBX 128 on my Tascam 42. The 117/118/119 used to be dirt cheap on Ebay, but the price has risen quite a bit recently. Some are buying them, gutting the VCA modules and selling them on Ebay.

Yeah I believe the VCAs are the same as used in a famous vintage dbx compressor. But I’m not sure how I feel about gutting and selling. Each to their own. But the circuitry upstream and downstream and surrounding the VCA in the 117/118/119/128 is very different than that popular vintage dbx compressor.

I have read thru all this multiple times but.......
I have a 119 sitting on the shelf that i got along with a big pile of dbx gear a few years ago. I hooked it up and messed with it and i just cannot *hear* what its doing.
In simplistic terms, what is it SUPPOSED to do to the signal/sound? I dont know if mine is semi or non-functional, or i just dont know what i am listening for.

BTW it has the LM301 op amps.....

I have read thru all this multiple times but.......
I have a 119 sitting on the shelf that i got along with a big pile of dbx gear a few years ago. I hooked it up and messed with it and i just cannot *hear* what its doing.
In simplistic terms, what is it SUPPOSED to do to the signal/sound? I dont know if mine is semi or non-functional, or i just dont know what i am listening for.

BTW it has the LM301 op amps.....

So you see activity in the “ABOVE THRESHOLD” LED but you don’t hear any effect? I recall it being fairly transparent and sometimes, because there is no input sensitivity or gain control, if your source equipment has low output, it’s difficult to get the VCA to trigger. You lower the threshold by rotating the THRESHOLD control clockwise, and you increase the compression ration by rotating the DECILINEAR control counter-clockwise. If you rotate the THRESHOLD control hard R and the DECILINEAR control hard L you should hear it working.

Yes, I hear an effect, but.....its not ...well....pleasant.

Let me put it this way. My system in its current configuration is for listening more than recording.
As such i'm not sure that i need the compression part of this. As noted earlier I got the 119 with a tall stack of processing gear i purchased as a lot to specifically get some of the other units.
I have several other DBX products in the rack (the 3BX, SNR-1, 290 reverb, 224X noise reduction, 400 switchers) and I thought what the heck another dbx toy, just hook it in. The ads from the day said this was for home hifi systems, but from an expansion standpoint is it just like a single band 3BX? What am i missing here,if anything........

Played with this some more today. Just didnt get into what it was doing. Some things i have a short attention span on. Its back on the display shelf

As I recall most people used the DBX 119 to increase the dynamic range of recordings (records and tapes), more expansion on playback than using it to encode/decode recordings. It didn't really catch on as well at the DBX units for tape units with compander circuits.

I only remember one fellow that had a 119 for his stereo system.

I have a dbx 3BX for an expander...probably one of more my over-used processors. I like what it provides to many of my older recordings.
The 119....not so much. I just wasn't getting anything i liked from it. I am sure it has its place......

Back